The Right Direction | Teen Ink

The Right Direction

November 1, 2015
By Olivia Kerber GOLD, Walnut, Illinois
Olivia Kerber GOLD, Walnut, Illinois
14 articles 0 photos 2 comments

I jump up from my bed to answer the light knocking at my door. I open the door to see warm brown eyes looking at me.
“Couldn’t wait to see me at work, could you?” We laugh but I see Dylan look down at the floor.
“Can I come in?” I open my door wider, gesturing to my messy room.
He walks in and heads to my desk chair. “Melody and I broke up.”
I quickly close the door and sit across from him on my bed. “I'm so sorry Dylan.”
“Yeah, I mean I could feel it coming.” I look at him with curiosity. “She said she didn’t feel anything.”
“And what about you?”
He rams his hand through his hair pulling at the ends. “I haven’t felt anything real for months.”
“That makes things easier, doesn’t it?”
“Sure I suppose but I feel like that is three years of my life down the drain.” He stands and paces from the door and back to the chair.
“Don’t think of it that way.” He stops and looks at me. “If you had continued you never would have been happy, neither of you. It’s something that had to be done to move on.”
He moves back to the chair, taking his original position. “It feels like a waste.”
I get up to put on my black work shirt. “Think about if you hadn’t gone out with her,” I take my shirt off, facing the window, and put my work shirt on. “you never would have known she was the wrong girl.” I turn back to him putting my hand out for him.
“I know where you are coming from but I can’t accept it.” He takes my hand standing up. He was already in his work attire, looking handsome as always.
“Come on. Let’s take your mind of things and go bus some tables.” He smiles slightly and walks to the door, keeping my hand in his.


The author's comments:

This is the middle of a story, but the girl telling the story is November. She and Dylan have been working together at a diner for about three months, and have become extremly close friends. This is the scene where Dylan tells November about his and Melody's breakup.