My Home | Teen Ink

My Home

By Lucy_11 PLATINUM, Eagan, Minnesota
Lucy_11 PLATINUM, Eagan, Minnesota

Everyone is a genius but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid

She walked walked in from the cold outside and into the heated flower shop and the aroma hit her like she ran into a wall. The tiny  flower shop was filled with dozens of beautiful colorful bouquets of daisies and tulips. She saw all the magnificent arrangements of colorful flowers but she was thinking of getting something that was simplier. She was looking around the store and then something caught her eye.
She walked over to the corner of the store. Behind a bouquet of daisies she found a delicate box. In it was one red rose. It was just a plain rose and there was nothing special about it.  She loved the rose all the same. It had this elegance in its simplicity and that’s what entranced her. She picked up the rose carefully in its packaging and looked at every delicate petal and the one green leaf that still hung from the thorny stem.
She walked it over to the  bright red cahier table at the front of the flower shop. She gave the kind lady with short brown hair who was working there the little money she possessed from her ripped coat pocket and then walked out of the store onto the boisterous winter street. There was a light white snow falling from the heavens. Covering everything in a snowy white powder. The snow covered the streets and made it look like a winter wonderland.
It was almost christmas and in front of all the toy shop were little kids pointing at all the things in the store windows that they wanted most. Eager for all the present they would get to unwrap in a couple days. Their parents were in the stores buying last minute christmas gifts for the people they cared about. I set off slowly walking towards the Brooklyn Bridge.
I held the delicate rose carefully in my cold bare hands. When I finally got to the bottom of the bridge my dad was starting a fire from some sticks he found and my mom was getting food together for my two younger siblings.
I walked up to my mother and handed the her the simple elegant rose and said,”Merry Christmas.” My mom wrapped me in her arms and thanked me multiple times for the generous gift. Then she replied a little flustered,” you did not have to get me anything.” I was not about to tell her I saved up for six months to buy her this rose. She never wanted me to spend money on getting her something for Christmas. Then I turned to my dad. I took a little colorful package of candy out of my coat pocket and handed it to him and said,” Merry Christmas.” I know how much he loves this candy and he has not gotten to eat any in over a year since we lost our house and I wanted him to have some again. Finally I turned to my two little brothers . I gave them each a little army soldier toy that I found on the street a couple weeks ago. They both squealed with joy at their new toys.
I knew they could give me nothing in return. It didn’t matter to me I just loved to see them happy. Then my whole family gathered around the crackling fire my dad made and we each in turn said something we were thankful for this christmas. When everyone had gone and it was  my turn I looked to my them and I said,” I am thankful for this family. Even though we may not have a house we are still a family. We care about each other and are thankful for what we do have. This family is my home.”