The Pain in Living | Teen Ink

The Pain in Living

By Lucy_11 PLATINUM, Eagan, Minnesota
Lucy_11 PLATINUM, Eagan, Minnesota

Everyone is a genius but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid

Everyone said they were sorry for my loss. Sorry they could not save my family. They all wanted to help me I knew they could’nt. I looked at the picture in my hands. The one possession I had. It was a picture of my family.

We were all laughing and smiling our brightest with the summer trees in the background. What a wonderful world where life is a perfect as a picture. A world that has happy endings. It was the only comfort I had as I was watching my home burn to the ground and the memories of my family burned with it. My live what changed by a simple match or a spark. It blew up my whole world.
They all tried to comfort me, but no one knows the pain I feel on the inside. You can not replace a family with anything. Not a bouquet of roses. Not a million sympathy cards.  I can say my cousins are my family, but I know it will never be the same.
  I was escaping the burning house I saw my little sister. I saw pain on her face. A pain no one should have. I could have saved her. Only one of us would have made it. I wish it was her. I want her to finish her life more than anything. She will never go to high school. Never fall in love. Her life was cut short. Then I think of my pain in living and would never want to put that pain on her. 

The world thinks dying would be the worst pain. I know the truth. The real truth. Things do not always work out in the end. I know how it really goes. There are no happy endings. I know the worst pain is living when everyone you love has died and what a terrible pain this is.