Conversing on Converse | Teen Ink

Conversing on Converse MAG

By lydiay223 BRONZE, Prosser, Washington
lydiay223 BRONZE, Prosser, Washington

“Every morning when I leave the house and put on my worn-out Converse, I sigh a little. There are several small tears in the faded black fabric. The laces are dirty, and the aglets are missing. The white edges are stained with mud, paint, and grass. I am reminded every morning when I slip them onto my feet that I am in need of a new pair. But then I remind myself that I can’t afford new ones. My worn out Converse not only symbolize my lack of money, but also my lack of growth. Part of the reason I haven’t bought new ones in so long is because my feet haven’t grown in years. When I first bought them, I was ecstatic. Converse were the coolest shoes I had ever seen, and I wanted to be cool. But over the years with my stylish Converse, everyday use and the elements turned them into something not so stylish. They have been my constant companions as I’ve hiked the evergreen forests, strolled down Sixth Street, run up the bleachers, and embarked on countless adventures. That’s what I think shoes are about, the journeys their owners have taken with them.”

Aurora paused, indicating that it was the end of her monologue. The class erupted in applause. She smiled shyly and returned to her seat.

“Excellent work, Miss Taylor,” said Mr. Roberts. “You know, class, shoes are very common physical objects in literature that have deep symbolic meaning. In the classic fairy tale ‘Cinderella’ by the Brothers Grimm, the prince uses the glass slipper to find the mysterious girl he is so entranced by. In this case, the glass slipper practically becomes Cinderella’s identity. Without it, she is just another peasant girl.

“In the fairy tale ‘The Red Shoes’ by Hans Christian Andersen, Karen’s red shoes become a symbol of her vanity as they take on a will of their ow-”

“Wait, Mr. Roberts, why are we talking about shoes in literature? I thought the assignment was to write a speech about an object that means something to you,” Jake chimed in.

“I know but I get so excited about this stuff, guys!” the teacher exclaimed. “Similarly, in society shoes can be seen as a symbol of status, class, and identity. In America, some people spend hundreds or even thousands of dollars on a pair of shoes – like Nike Air Jordans – just to have a certain identity among their peers. In ancient times, slaves did not wear shoes, while their masters did. In the Bible, God requires His people to remove their sandals in places of worship to symbolize their humility. In an old wedding tradition, the bride would pass her shoe to her husband, representing the exchange of her identity. At Quinceañeras, the girl’s father will change her flats to heels, symbolizing her transition from child to adult. A common stereotype is that women are obsessed with and own a large selection of sho-”

“Mr. Roberts, you’re going off on another tangent,” Peter complained.

Mr. Roberts ignored him and continued. “Shoes can also be a symbol of freedom or the ability to travel. Obviously, shoes are worn for walking and running, but literature has taken the ability to travel with shoes to a whole new level. For instance, in The Wizard of Oz, Dorothy’s red slippers take her home to Kansas. In Greek and Roman mythology, the god Hermes, or Mercury, wears winged sandals because he acts as the messenger of the gods.”

“Okay, Mr. Roberts, we get it – shoes are important. Can we please get back to our speeches?” Jessica whined.

“In a minute, guys. There’s so much I have to tell you. Shoes can also symbolize the opposite of freedom. They can represent hard work or burdens. In the nursery rhyme ‘There Was an Old Woman Who Lived in a Shoe’ the shoe holds her down with the task of caring for the children. In The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, neither Huckleberry Finn nor Tom enjoy wearing shoes. They are young boys, so one can assume it is because of the inconvenience of the shoes and their impatience.

“In the Middle East, throwing shoes is a form of insult or protest. A famous example occurred in 2008, when an Iraqi journalist threw a shoe at George W. Bush in protest of the Iraq War. Since then, shoe throwing has gained popularity.”

“Mr. Roberts, half of the class is asleep,” said Ron.

“Well, I have a feeling what I’m about to say next will wake the class up,” replied the teacher. “Shoes can also have a sexual connotation …”

The class immediately came to attention.

“The shoe in ‘There Was an Old Woman Who Lived in a Shoe’ can also symbolize her fertility. Stiletto heels are seen as sexual in our society.”

“Wow!” the class exclaimed. Several boys in the back giggled.

“So whether they’re used as an insult, a path to freedom, a burden, an indicator of class, or even a sex symbol, shoes are a common motif in literature and popular culture because of their versatility. As stated earlier, a shoe to me symbolizes the journey of the wearer. I always think of the movie ‘Forrest Gump,’ when Forrest receives new sneakers from Jenny and later in the movie runs across America with them. By the end of his journey, the shoes are worn and tattered. Shoes can mean different things to different people, but everyone wears them.”

The teacher received nothing but blank stares. He sighed and returned to yet another lesson on commas. Mr. Roberts did not understand his students’ lack of interest in such a thought-provoking topic. He felt discouraged that he could not open their eyes to the wonders of literature. He tried to be a professional and earn their respect. He even went so far as to purchase brand new, expensive loafers. He thought that the new shoes would make the students see how wise he truly was. But, alas, they continued to groan at every poem he handed them.