Change | Teen Ink

Change

By Magicath BRONZE, Auburn, Alabama
Magicath BRONZE, Auburn, Alabama

"The boys, the girls, they all like Carmen
She gives them butterflies, bats her cartoon eyes"
-"Carmen" by Lana Del Rey

Samantha fumbled with the key to her room. She had to drop the two large duffel bags so she could grab the key from her shorts. She thrust the rusty key through the shining gold doorknob but didn’t open the door. Instead, she closed her eyes and drew in a shaky breath. This was all so happening to fast. The blood was pounding in her head and tears started to brim her eyes. She couldn’t see her family for 10 months in a row. Samantha had never been this far from home for this long. A Californian Girl in the Yellowhammer State. How does that happen? She snorted at the thought. It was all because of that letter addressed to her. They had been happy for her, her parents, for Catherine Woodson Academy for Gifted Youth was a prestigious high school and its tuition was quite expensive. Although she lived on the other side of the country, they wanted Samantha wanted her to come on a scholarship.
“Samantha’s grades are excellent, Mr. and Mrs. Barret,” the counselor, Mr. Stackhouse, had said. “She is a very gifted student and because of making it to Nationals in Science Olympiad in the top three, it’s not a surprise she was considered.” After an hour of collaboration on Samantha’s arrangements, a deal was made. Samantha would go to Alabama for senior year, her last year. It hadn’t really bothered her though. She was homeschooled after all. What did bother her was that she would have to be away from her parents for that long. She had grown rather close unlike other seventeen year old kids.
Her thoughts were interrupted by a deep clear of the throat. Samantha quickly wiped her eyes and turned around to find a boy behind her. A raven haired boy with hazel eyes and glasses. He was rather tall and waved awkwardly at her and spoke up.
“Hey, I’m Crispin Davis.” He held out his hand to shake. Samantha just stared at the hand. He had long pale slender fingers. She looked back at his face and his hand retreated back to point at Samantha’s fallen bags. “Need help with that?” he asked. Samantha nodded and turned the knob to open the door. She went inside and watched Crispin man handle her bag of clothes, then her bag of trinkets. He dropped them next to the bed in the room. He spoke yet again, much to Samantha’s dismay.
“I never got your name.” he breathed between heavy breathes.
“Samantha Barret,” she said quietly. Then a little louder,” Thanks for taking in my bags.” He waved it off.
“It was nothing.” Crispin pointed out the door to the one across the hall. “Just so you know I’m across the hall if you need anything.” Samantha’s face contorted into a frown. “ I know. Co-ed dorms.” Samantha laughed.
“I didn’t think they would allow hormonal ridden teenagers of opposite genders to be in the same building.” Samantha said. Crispin just shrugged.
“It’s not that bad. Nerds like us don’t mingle the same as average people.” He looked at Samantha. “ Say, what are you in for?”
“Science. I’m a crazy gifted adolescent that needed to take high school science in the 8th,” Samantha said sarcastically.
“Awesome! I’m in for Auto Design. This school is filled with talented folks like us. Except for the dance chicks.” Crispin shuddered, “First, they can’t dance but their parents could pay the tuition. Second, they aren’t even that smart. And lastly, they are mean, ruthless b-” Before Crispin could finish; a girl’s scream of glee ran through the air.
“Ohmigawd Crispin! How are you honey?” a slender girl with long auburn hair and piercing blue eyes strutted into Samantha’s room. Her face was splashed with freckles and her face sweet, though there was nothing sweet about her. She shoved Samantha out of the way and hugged Crispin tight. Poor Crispin’s face was tight with pain.
“Hi Avery,” Crispin said weakly after Avery finally let him go. “Why are you here? This is Samantha’s room.” He gestured toward Samantha and she awkwardly waved at the intruder. Avery’s face was twisted with envy for a second, and then flipped back to happy.
“Ohmigawd, hi! Sorry I didn’t notice you! You kind of blended in with the wall.” Samantha looked down at herself. Tan skin, coffee hair, espresso eyes, and black Warby Parker glasses. She had her brown t shirt tucked into her jean shorts. Samantha turned to come to face a brown wall. Who did this girl think she was, being racist in her own room? Who cares if she was half Cahuilla? And how did this girl know?
“Avery, please get out.” Crispin forced out through his clenched teeth.
Avery’s face turned from smug, to hurt, then back to glee. “OK Crispy baby, whatever you say.” She cooed and blew him a kiss and strutted out, hips swaying.
Samantha pointed to the retreating figure. “Your girl-”
Samantha was cut off by a sigh. “She is NOT my girlfriend. She just thinks she is…” Samantha nodded and, for some odd reason, felt relived. “Well, it was nice meeting you, but I have to be going. If you want to stop by later, feel free. My door is locked but if you knock three times, I’ll open.”
“Okay…See you?” Samantha said. He nodded and walked off, shutting the door behind him. She watched the door and felt weird. Samantha just shook it off and turned to face her monstrous bags. Samantha started to unpack but was interrupted by her phone in her pocket. She took out the device and saw that her parents had texted her.
“Have a good first day! We love you!” it read. Tears formed in Samantha’s eyes, but she fought them back. It was a losing battle and soon the barrier broke. They fell down her face and onto her t shirt. They ran down till she was reduced to noisy hiccups. She missed them so much. Why did she have to be so smart? Why did she have to go to a high school miles away from her parents? This was constantly on her mind since she got here. Samantha wiped her tears away on her arm and looked up from her self-pity to look at her room. It was nice: brown walls, white furniture, a closet, wardrobe, and a bathroom. Samantha went back to unpack. It took her awhile since she packed all of her clothes, plus bedding and necessities. When she finally finished setting up her room, there was a knock on the door. Samantha walked up and opened it to come to find a short lady with white hair and a pencil skirt. Her wrinkled face was fixed in a frown. She wore neutral colors except for her face. The stout lady wore bright red lipstick and blue eye shadow, with an excessive amount of blush. Samantha had to bite her lip to keep from laughing at her appearance.
“Miss Barret I assume?” the lady asked, her face still frowning. Samantha nodded. The lady stuck out her hand to shake and Samantha took it. “Mrs. Woodson III, this schools principal. I hope you liked your room.” Mrs. Woodson peeked into Samantha’s room and her frown deepened at her décor. “I am here to give you your schedule and what you need to start school on Monday.” Mrs. Woodson snapped her fingers and a lanky man with a winkled button down shirt came in behind her. His blonde hair was messed up and his tie loose. He was carrying a stack of folders with papers sticking out of them.
Mrs. Woodson pointed to the struggling man. “This is Mr. Hawkins, your homeroom teacher.” Mr. Hawkins nodded his head at her and put the folders down on the floor. Mr. Hawkins started to look through the mess of folders.
“Barret, Barret, Barret, AHA! Samantha Barret.” He handed her the folder and shoved the rest of the folders on the ground away. He looked over to Mrs. Woodson and said in a serious voice. “ OK, Mrs. Woodson we can go now.” Mrs. Woodson nodded and walked off, leaving the folders behind.  Samantha quickly shut the door slid down to put her head on her knees. She soon heard Mr. Hawkins walk away. She got up, and opened the door. Crispin’s door was across the hall. Samantha walked out and closed her door. She ran to the other side of the hall and knocked on Crispin’s door three times. A half awake Crispin opened the door and Samantha immediately regretted it.
“Sorry, I’ll come back later if you want?” Samantha stated to walk away but Crispin stopped her by grabbing her wrist. She immediately felt a rush of electricity fly through her body and back to her hand, over and over and over again. Her heart beat started to beat faster against her will.
“Don’t go! I was just taking a nap.” Crispin said, still holding on to Samantha’s hand. They stayed like that, looking into each other’s eyes, holding hands. It wasn’t until Crispin noticed his mistake did he remove his hand quickly blushing. Thank God she was so tan and didn’t blush. Crispin soon regained his cool and leaned against the door frame. “So, you need to talk?” he said as casually as he could muster while blushing. Samantha nodded.
“I think I’m regretting ever being smart. This place is a-” Crispin quickly pulled Samantha inside his room and locked it. Samantha was ready to yell in his face when he put his hand over her mouth. His hand smelled like coffee and it was, strangely, comforting. Samantha soon heard the footsteps of someone walking. They barely made contact though they were far apart. When they heard it fade away, Crispin removed his hand.
Samantha let go of the breath she was holding. “WHAT DID YOU THINK YOU WERE DOING!?” she whispered loudly. Crispin shrugged and went to sit on his bed. He patted the space in front of him. Samantha sat reluctantly.
“I heard someone coming and students aren’t allowed out of bed after 8 pm.” Samantha mouthed the word oh and nodded slowly. “So, what did you want to talk about?”
Samantha sighed. “This place is so different. I have been homeschooled all my life…well, since 8th grade, and it’s so hard coming back with all these different people.”
“Wait, you said since eighth grade. Why did you switch?” Crispin asked. Samantha tensed. She has never talked to anyone about this except her parents. Al the events came flooding back.
“Hey loser,” Jenny had said with malice in her voice. They were in the locker room after PE and were changing to go home. Samantha was in the back alone pulling off her gym shorts. “HEY UGLY! I’m talking to you.” Samantha looked up to see the smirking face Jenny Snider, the worst girl in history. Jenny had already changed and was looking at a half changed Samantha.
“What do you want Jennifer?” her whole clique gasped behind her and the rest of the girls ran out of the room. Great, she was all alone.
Jennifer had grabbed her hair and pulled it up so Samantha could see Jenny’s face clearly.”Losers like you don’t speak to me that way!” she said angrily.
Samantha rolled her eyes, but she was scared. This girl was ruthless. “P-lease Jennifer, I don’t have time for Barbie’s like you.” Samantha pulled on her jeans and grabbed her belongings, ready to go when Jennifer slapped her, causing Samantha to fall on the ground. Her cheek burned badly but Samantha didn’t cry.
“I SAID LOSERS DON’T SPEAK TO ME THAT WAY, B-” Jennifer’s face turned happy all of a sudden. “Girls,” she purred. “Let’s teach Miss. Sass how we treat disrespecting losers.” All the girls behind her grabbed Samantha as Jennifer got scissors out of her backpack. The Clique had Samantha held against the wall and Jennifer had the scissors. She walked slowly, making sure to move the scissors threateningly and stood in front of Samantha. At this point, Samantha was shaking and tears started to fall down her face against the lockers. A lock was crashed against her back and it dug in her skin. Jenifer took the scissors and started to cut Samantha’s hair until it reached her ears. The brown locks fell harmlessly to the ground, but Jennifer wasn’t done there. She grabbed a Sharpie and lifted Samantha’s shirt to reveal her stomach. Samantha tried to scream but a girl covered her mouth. Jennifer wrote on Samantha’s bare stomach some nasty, vulgar words. Then, she took the scissors again and put slits on Samantha’s arms, 5 on each. Jennifer snapped and all the girls let go of Samantha. She fell to the floor in a heap, bleeding and sobbing. Jennifer kicked her shaking body.
“Never speak to me again.” She whispered. Jennifer dropped the scissors and the Sharpie and walked out with her clique, leaving Samantha alone. Samantha had cried for so long alone, till a girl who forgot her phone came back in. When she saw Samantha, she helped her to the office. After her parents found out, they sued Jennifer’s parents and the school for $6,000 and won. Since then, she was always homeschooled.
She felt a warm hand on her arm and Samantha bolted back to reality and noticed she had been crying and she was in a ball on Crispin’s bed. Samantha quickly sat up and wiped her eyes, but Crispin stopped her. “Are you ok?” he whispered, his voice full of concern. Samantha wanted to cry again on his shoulder and curl up, but she held herself and shook her head. She told him about the bullying, trying hard not to burst into tears.
“I’m so sorry, Samantha. No one should have to go like that.” He whispered. Samantha shrugged.
“Well, I can’t change the past nor know what her motives were.” She said.
Crispin looked at her more intently, “Envy can make people do devious actions.” Samantha nodded and slowly got up to leave the room.

Samantha woke up groggily. She had been at CWAGY for 3 months already and she was already tired of it. Her teachers were very particular about favorites and being a new student apparently didn’t help with it. And with that note, they give homework that takes more than 3 hours each day and she was struggling. Thankfully Crispin was helping her keep up with the work. He helped tutor her with the advanced English courses that ere mandatory. When Samantha thought about it, he was a good person. He was sweet and funny and well… likeable, though he probably doesn’t have the same feelings. Avery though is still being unbearable. Whenever they come into contact, she scowls and struts off. Samantha doesn’t why she hates her. She really would like to get to know her better. Avery seems like a nice girl. With everyone else, she smiles and laughs. So why did she act so bitter when around her? Samantha remembered last week that when she made a 98 on her English test, Avery had teased her for it.
“Ha, stupid. I knew you couldn’t beat me,” Avery said, showing her the 100 on her test. “You’re just not smart enough. I don’t know why you are in this school.” Avery had cackled while walking away.
  She heard a knock on her door that snapped her out of her thoughts and she went to open it. Crispin. Samantha quickly realized she was in her pajamas and felt her face heat and she pulled her over sized shirt over her short-shorts.
Crispin didn’t seem to notice. “Hey, come and take a walk with me for a while.” Crispin then noticed Samantha’s apparel and blushed. “Um,” he cleared his throat, “you can, uh, change first.” Samantha smiled and nodded. She quickly closed the door and changed into some jean shorts and a t-shirt with a cardigan. She looked at her watch. It read 6 am. Why did he have to wake her up so early?! It was a Saturday also. Boys… She opened the door and walked towards her friend.
“Ready.” She said. He nodded and walked off, motioning for her to follow. She did so and stated the conversation. “So what are we gonna see?” she asked.
“Oh you’ll see. You are gonna FREAK!” he said enthusiastically. Samantha rolled her eyes.
“Star Trek Posters are not that cool.” She said. He mocked hurt causing her to laugh and turn away.
“We’re here.” He said. She looked to see a poster of the science fair. It said that Princeton University was coming to see anyone legible to go to their school. Crispin pointed to the signup sheet. “Sign up, Samantha. You will win, I promise.” Samantha looked at him with doubt. He rolled his eyes. “You don’t believe me? You are the best person I know at Science. Trust me, you will do fine.”  Samantha shrugged. It couldn’t hurt after all. She grabbed the open to sign up when she heard a voice behind her.
“Wait!” it said. A girl. Samantha turned to find an Avery Woodson, granddaughter of Mrs. Woodson and enemy of Samantha, standing in jogging clothes. Even after a workout, she still managed to look flawless. She walked slowly to Samantha and Crispin and stood only a few feet from them. Samantha’s grip tightened on the pen.
Avery put her hands in surrender. “I’m not gonna hurt. I just want to say I’m cool with you two.” Samantha’s face morphed to confusion and Avery sighed. “I had a crush on Crispin for a long time and I knew he liked you and you liked him-” Both Samantha and Crispin blushed at this and looked at the ground. “What? It was obvious. Anyway, I don’t want to fight anymore. I accept you too liking each other, so I want to be your partner in the Science Fair.” Samantha’s mouth dropped open.
“You want to be my partner?” Samantha blurted. Avery nodded. “I didn’t know we could-”
“Yes you can.” Crispin said. He looked to Avery. “You liked me?” She nodded. He looked at Samantha. Her pulse quickened, but she still nodded. “OK… cool. I uh, ya know, have a, AHUM, a” his voice dropped so low that she could barely hear the words she was waiting for. “Like you too.” Samantha smiled, like real big that you could see her gums. Avery laughed and shook her head.
“You two are very odd, though you are perfect for each other.”  Crispin and Samantha laughed at this. “But back to business, you in Sam?” Samantha thought about it. This was the girl that reminded her of Jennifer and tormented her for the past few days.
“Yes.” They shook on it and signed up together. Avery turned to them and waved good bye before jogging back to her room. Samantha and Crispin were alone. It was a comfortable silence and Samantha was the one to break it.
“So… you like me eh, Crispin?” Crispin laughed and looked at her.
“Yes. You are amazing.” He paused and took a deep breath, “Samantha-”
“Hey”, she started. “ I need to talk to my partner” Crispin stood mute, his cheeks fiery and his jaw set. Samantha had to admit he looked really good like that, but she couldn’t help to want to laugh at his demeanor. Crispin turned on his heel and walked fast. When he was out of ear shot, Samantha let it out.
“Did you see his face? PRICELESS!” she said between laughing fits. Avery smirked and nodded her head slowly.
“Now, Miss Davis,” Samantha stopped laughing. “What do you want our project to be?”

It was time. Avery and Samantha stood as the Princeton advisors came and examined each project. They were close and Samantha was starting to get nervous. She could tell Avery was too because she was wringing her hands. Everything was counting on this one project. It was simple, a Perpetual Motion machine that never stopped. They wait patiently for them to come.
“Avery, do you think we will win?” Avery gave Samantha a small smile.
“We got this in the bag.” She said. Samantha smiled, not completely convinced. She looked up o the ceiling and closed her eyes. It was so difficult to wait. After the longest five minutes of Samantha’s life, the advisors finally came. There were 3 men in suits with clipboards. They wore straight faces and looked like they never smiled a day in their life.
“So what is your project?” one man said in monotone. Samantha gulped and looked at Avery. Avery had a smile on and she told everything about their project. How they built it and what it did. When she finished, the men simply put a mark on their clipboards and walked off. Avery and Samantha both sighed in relief.
“Thank God that’s over.” Samantha said. Avery nodded.
“I don’t think I could go through something like that ever again.” Avery breathed. They both walked off toward the exit, arms linked. Right when they opened the doors, an exasperated Crispin ran over to them.
“How did you do? How did you do!” he quickly said.
“We don’t know yet,” Avery said sarcastically. “Well, I got to go. Bye!” then to Crispin, “Don’t do anything bad!” With that, Avery skipped away laughing. Crispin turned red.
“Aw come on, Crispin. Don’t let her get to you.” Samantha said. He still loked red and she giggled at his shyness and grabbed his hand. He quickly looked up to her and caught her eye. “Let’s go back. This dress is really uncomfortable.”
***************************************************************************  Samantha was lying in her bed when the intercom came on. It had a high feedback that hurt her ears badly she had to cover them. When that retched noise stopped, the voice of Mrs. Woodson came on.
“Hello students. All of you know that we had a Science Fair; well we have chosen the winners who have a full scholarship to Princeton. They are…. Hold on I’m looking for the papers” Samantha stood on the edge of her bed waiting for the answer. She could hear the papers rustling. “Ah here they are. The winners are… oh they are Miss Avery Woodson and Samantha Barret.” Samantha screamed and ran out to Crispin’s room, who got out as soon as she did. They both ran hand in hand to Avery’s room who opened the door crying tears of joy. Avery and Samantha hugged and cried on each other.
“Oh my we ACTUALLY did it!” Samantha cried.
“I know!” Avery sobbed. Crispin stood awkwardly at the side watching the two girls bawled their eyes out. “Aw come on and join Crispin. He wrapped his arms around them both and hugged them.
“I’m so proud of you guys.” He said, his voice muffled by their sobs. After they finally let go, Samantha flung her arms around Crispin. She could hear Avery laugh next to her, but it sounded so far away. Avery smiled at Samantha and winked at her and Samantha laughed.
“I can’t believe you were so mean to me.” Samantha said to Avery.
“Well, people change, Samantha. People change.”

This is the piece I wrote for Language class. This is the main reason I found Teen Ink actually. Hope you enjoy!