Whispers From Nowhere | Teen Ink

Whispers From Nowhere

By canyouheremenow BRONZE, Paragould, Arkansas
canyouheremenow BRONZE, Paragould, Arkansas

I like the "me" I show to others better than the "me" no one else can see. - My own quote

My ears are ringing, but I ignore it. If it's not the ringing, it's the low buzzing sound or the whispers or the screaming.

"Esmerelle, are you listening?" Mr. Tompkin stops his speach to observe me, and I look up from my sketch book, my only friend, to make sure he's actually talking.

"Yes, Mr. Tompkin. Do you want me to give a summary of the human nervous system?" I ask, making sure to use the title of the lesson, which is written on the board behind him. The balding man gives me a curious stare but shakes his head anyway.

The lesson resumes, and students begin to talk amoung one another. The ringing pauses, turning into subtle words disguised as my peers hushed conversations. I continue to ignore them and focus in on Mr. Tompkin, but his voice becomes distorted as I do. It's a wonder I'm able to keep a good grade in any class.

"I heard she was expelled from her last school and thrown into a mental facility," One whisper said as I attempe to decode the lecture.

"I heard she killed someone!" Another rushed to say, and the feminine voices giggle and gossip.

The walls seem to close in on me. No! That wasn't me! I lean over to dig through my backpack, air comeing in and out of my lungs in short bursts. Mr. Tompkin grabs my hands, and pulls me out of my chair. Two students stand, taking each one of my arms as they drag me out of class.

"M-My meds! I-I n-need-" It feels like my chest is going to collapse. My lungs burn, my vision becomes blury and the nurse's voice is fading in and out.

Sirens ring. Someone's picking me up and laying me on something. I can't hear anymore, or see. It's a relief for there to be silence for once. My relief is short lived.

"I can't believe she fainted!" A male says, and another guy joins him.

"Poor girl, the trauma is still hitting her hard, even after all these years." Years? Is that how long it's been?

Yeah... Two years. Perfect crime. Not my crime, not mine. Never my crime - I'm innocent. The judge told me I am, so it must be true.

"Is it really safe for her to go to public school? Or any school at all?" Voice 1 asks, and someone shifts beside me.

"I don't know. There's a rumor going 'round that Cy is trying to convince her parents to put her back in the crazy house." Crazy? Me? No way. My meds'll keep me safe, right?
 "I hope he can. She needs it. Anyways, how's the misses?" Their conversation disperses, and panic runs through me.

No! I don't want to go there! I'm not crazy, I'm fine. I can tell the difference between real and not, my medicine lets me. I'm not crazy. I didn't hurt anyone. Not crazy... Not my fault...

Ever feel like denying something, even if it's true? This story takes that to the extreme. Hope you enjoy!