Magic of Kaiser | Teen Ink

Magic of Kaiser

By AadiB BRONZE, Manhasset Hills, New York
AadiB BRONZE, Manhasset Hills, New York

People say you can't live without love, but I think Oxygen is more important.

Whistling a memory, it went up and down slowly, then up and down again. Like a swing gently rocking. It cheered me up, it saddened me, but it kept me alive. This tune held a special meaning, one that would never leave my mind and heart. It was taught to me by my father. A tall, skinny man with pale and spotted skin. He had survived a skin cancer surgery and taught me to whistle the same day he came back home. “This tune,” he whispered in my ear so my mother didn’t know what we were talking about. “this was taught to me by one of the nurses who helped me survive. She was from the army.” I was amazed at his story during the time and I was only 6 years of age. I practiced every day when my mother was at work, so she didn’t hear me. I was upstairs in my room the day my father died. My mother came home and took me to the hospital to see his body. She never mentioned anything about my whistling. During his funeral, when everyone was seated, I silently went up to the stand and spoke sadly to the crowd. “Thank you all for coming to my father’s funeral. I have a gift for my father, would everyone please stand.” I whistled to my father with all the love I had left. I stopped, unable to whistle the rest of the tune, crying heavily. After the funeral, my mother and I spent days without speaking to each other. We would eat breakfast together in pin drop silence. The most we ever said was maybe a good morning or a good night.
  After many many years of this odd treatment toward’s each other, my mother had increasingly aged from stress and depression. I did my best to help her. Gave her headache medicine, I whistled to her to make her happy, I even read stories to her before she slept. But nothing worked. Her dark black hair had grayed out completely and her bright eyes had become dim and uninterested. I took her to the hospital, where they cared for her properly and treated her better than I ever would have.
One decent evening, while I was going through my mail to pay for the ticket I had just gotten by running a red, there was a ring at the door. When I opened it, I found a box. Not the type of delivery box made of cardboard with a giant rectangular white sticker at the top. This box had small holes and hay sticking out. On the white sticker, it read 26 Baymen Street, Jenson Park 4471. I read it four times over before I called the company, saying I never ordered any mail. They answered back, “The person who ordered this said to tell you it was for his one and only son, the one he loved most.” I thanked them and hung up the phone. My father wasn’t alive, how could he do this? I stared at the box curiously. The box started to rock slightly. Cautiously, I opened it. Inside, was a puppy. I classified the breed as an Australian Shepherd. His ears were huge, but were still too weak to stand on their own. His paws were also large for his body like all normal Shepherd pups. I gently reached for the puppy and lifted him into my lap with one hand. I introduced myself to the youngster. “I am Gene. Nice too meet you. This is your home now, feel comfortable.” Still holding him, I shut the front door, went to the kitchen, and put him on the granite table. He plopped down on his bottom and sat, staring into my eyes. I swore I could feel a power coming from him but I shrugged the thought off. That’s not possible. “What shall I call you?” I declared, finally thinking aloud to the fascinated pup. He barked. The bark didn’t sound like a bark, more like a little howl. I laughed at his reaction. “So you talk huh? Come here.” I went to hug the puppy when I felt him try to growl. I moved back slightly to see what he was up to.   He tried again. His muzzle made it look like he was growling, but all I heard was whining. I laughed again, “You will learn to growl soon, no rush.” Picking him up once more, I took him upstairs to my bedroom and placed him on my bed. Well, I am going to  call you Kaiser. Whether you like it or not.” Kaiser barked again. “I guess that’s a yes then.”
Kaiser began to mature quickly, weeks after I got him, his growl deepened significantly and his bark became sharper and more threatening. I took him hunting every morning and jogging every evening. Another good year passed, and Kaiser had become my best friend. I shared everything with him, from my life stories to dates with my girlfriend.
“Kaiser!” I called from downstairs dressed in a tuxedo. From my bedroom, Kaiser bounded downstairs and stood by my side. I had put him in a doggie-tuxedo to make him seem like the most important member of the family. Today was my wedding day, and I couldn’t wait to see Lucy again. Lucy was my fiancé. She had neck length black hair, dyed fire red at the tips, eyes the color of dark chestnuts and the sweetest personality ever. After Kaiser and I had arrived, Lucy greeted us in her wedding dress. She hugged me lovingly and almost kissed me when I stopped her, winking. “Not yet Lulu, Kaiser never approved.” In a strange way, she asked, “Kaiser? I could have sworn he was just here.” I looked down to my side. Seeing Kaiser missing, I ran out. “Kaiser! Kaiser!” I called desperately from behind the building, which was mostly a dry land area full of long and untamed grass. Walking further into the backyard of this building was dangerous, anything could be out there. “Why would he run? From what?” I rubbed the back of my neck. “Kaiser!” I called for one last time. Two yellow eyes shone in a darker, thicker area of the backyard. They were fiercer that Kaiser’s, but in a rush and frenzy, I ran towards the pair of eyes, only to find a Dragon missile with it’s glowing yellow eyes inside a dragon like head with a log like missile body. This made me panic even more. The missile was loaded in it’s capsule and ready to fire. It was pointed at the building where our wedding was to take place. I tried to remove the missile from it’s capsule, but it didn’t work. I was crying now, both in fear and love for my new family. I didn’t want them to die, I didn’t want anyone to die. I pulled and pulled at the missiles body, only to fail deactivating it. Quitting on the missile, I took my phone out of my pocket and called Lucy. Luckily she picked up the phone.
“Lucy? You there?” I called into the electronic.
“Yes, did you find Kaiser?” She said cautiously.
“No, but I found a missile, and it is pointed at the building where we are to get married. Get out of there. Drop everything, come to the back and run as fast as possible.” I breathed heavily into the phone. There was a gunshot from somewhere behind me. I turned around to look at what happened, when another shot was fired. I fell unconscious to the dirt ground. The last thing I remember hearing were loud barks, some screaming, shooting and some snarling.
I woke up in the hospital, and Lucy rushed to my aid. She grabbed my hand and stood by the bed. “What happened,” I asked her, “after I passed out?” I cupped her face in my left hand. “What happened to Kaiser? Did anyone find him? Is he alright?” Almost crying, Lucy squeezed my arm. “Gene, Kaiser saved your life. He was by your side until the police came, defending you left and right. I knew right then, there was something special about him Gene, he loved you.” Tears dripped from her eyes. “Gene, Kaiser didn’t survive the incident.” Tears rushed to my eyes, I tried vigorously to wipe them away with my right hand. “He’s gone? Forever?” I couldn’t bear the thought. Kaiser had saved me.  “No, you’re lying.” I told Lucy. “There is no way he’s gone. He’s probably at home sitting on his bed like he normally is when I get back from work.” Lucy wiped her tears. “Gene, he died from getting shot saving you.” I slammed my fist onto the bed, making a loud clunking noise. “Lu, he is alive, waiting at home for me. He couldn’t have died. The police must have taken him home. He is alive.” The monitor I was put on started to beep rapidly. A nurse close by called on her walkie-talkie. “All help to 765! All help to 765! Need to hold this man down! IV!” A bunch of nurses rushed up the isle and tied me down to the bed. They injected an IV into me immediately. As my eyes closed, I could see that Lucy was gone.

I was inspired by the relationship between my own dog and I. I hope people learn that it is important to develope a good relationship with your pet because maybe one day, they might just save your life.