Unwanted Memories | Teen Ink

Unwanted Memories

By bookjunkie17 BRONZE, South Berwick, Maine
bookjunkie17 BRONZE, South Berwick, Maine

I walked home in the rain declining offers from neighbors to drive me home. I didn’t mind the rain, in fact I liked walking in the rain because it brought me a sense of peacefulness and serenity. Sure I would be soaked and would likely be cold when I was walking up the stairs of my house, but I didn’t mind. The rain had started when I was walking around after the last bell at school rang. I had taken detour after detour, street after street, all to avoid the chaos that would ensue when I got inside my house. I kept walking down the streets, letting the rain wash down my face and allowing my feet to slip into the gathering puddles.
When the rain began to lighten up I knew that it was time I made my way home. I kicked rocks and stuffed my hands in my pockets to slow my progress. As I approached our dripping ranch style home I noticed my mom’s car was already in the driveway, it was unusual for her to come home early from work. I strolled up to the car and picked a handwritten note from under the windshield wiper. It was a short note from my mom:
Brian,       
      Left to walk Cooper, be back soon. Get your homework done!
Love Mom       
P.S.       
You’re going to catch a cold if you keep walking in the rain.

I stuffed the note in my pocket and went inside to change my clothes. I trudged to my room and threw my soggy clothes in the laundry room. I had done all my homework, had taken my time coming home. Now I had nothing but time, and I didn’t want it. I didn’t want to think, I only wanted to forget. I went to the living room to wait for my mom and Cooper to come home; playing with Cooper was always what I did when I got home. Some time later I heard the scratching at the door and my mom’s struggle to get into the house without being dragged in by our great dane.
“Brian, come take Cooper! He should be tired, but I swear, that dog could go for miles without having to stop.” I tuned her out when Cooper tackled me on the couch and proceeded to slobber me with his dog kisses. “Brian? Did you hear anything I just said?” I pushed Cooper off of me and looked up at my mom’s dripping raincoat and drawn face. “The lieutenant sent over pictures of Bradley.”
“Mom, you know he liked to be called Brad.” I rolled my eyes and laid back on the couch.
“I’m going to go get some copies made, text me if you need anything from the store.” With that, she turned around and went out the door. When I heard the car start and drive away I knew it was safe to let the tears escape from my eyes. Brad had been a good guy, and he was only supposed to be in the Army to get benefits so he could go to college.
“Well Cooper,” I said resting my hand on his head. “Looks like it’s gonna be you and me for awhile.” With that I flipped on the TV, put Animal Planet on for him, then leaned up against him and fell asleep to the sound of light rain against the windowpanes.
When I woke up there was crying, sniffling, and a whispered conversation between my parents. I stretched and poked Cooper to see if he too had fallen asleep. He snored and I got off the couch as he stretched himself across the length of it. I yawned and walked into the chaos that I was bound to find in the kitchen. My parents were sitting at the table spreading out photos in front of them. They were holding hands and both were crying, my dad less audible than my mom. I silently sat down and picked up a photo. It was my brother, clad in camo gear with his arm around another man clad in the same camo gear. They looked so happy, so innocent of what their future held for them. The tears didn’t start immediately, it was when I put the picture down and looked back at my parents that they came. My mom stretched her hand out to me and I grasped it as a stronger wave of tears proceeded down my cheeks.
“We miss him too” She said. Cooper had gotten up from the couch and was resting his head on my leg. I let my body shake as more and more tears poured down my face. I realized then, with astonishing clarity, that this was what it was like to face the rain.