Stories of the Streets | Teen Ink

Stories of the Streets

August 6, 2015
By Fia Swanson BRONZE, San Francisco,
Fia Swanson BRONZE, San Francisco,
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The California Kid

His blue eyes could barely stay open.  They were like two perfect lakes, mirroring the sky.  They would quickly disappear as his eyelids batted.  He mumbled to himself, but it looked like he was talking to someone.  “Hungry,” he muttered, looking straight ahead of him, past the sycamore trees and into the open road.  He stood in front of the local Ambassador’s Toys, where children were playing Jenga in the store.  He used to live in Austin, Texas where he worked at the original Wholefoods market.  “Texas is alright.  But I came straight back to California after the accident.”  The accident.  He looked like he could collapse at any given moment, so I wouldn’t dare ask about the accident.  “I knew I had to leave.  I’m a California Kid,” he said in a messy sentence.  Well, more so a jumbled assortment of words than a phrase.  His hair looked the same as Shaggy from Scooby-Doo.  He’s the kind of guy you don’t want to look at.  You’d look at him, and assure yourself he would just waste the money you gave him.  For a second, it felt like he broke character, and suddenly he was someone you talk to while waiting in line for coffee.  For a second, he stood up straight, his blue eyes stayed open, and made contact with ours instead of giving in to fatigue.  For a second, his mouth didn’t look like it was on the verge of drooling, and his hair didn’t look so reckless.  But only for a second.  When he talked, he looked through us, out into the open road.   

My Empty Cup

I looked down at my cup, still empty.  Looking down into the cup, I was staring into a bottomless pit.  Even if a dollar fell into it, I would never catch it.  It would go to waste.  What an ugly cup.  In front of it was a sign, OUT OF WORK.  As if it were a label, warning you not to go near it, warning you that your money would fall into the well and Lassie wouldn’t be able to save it.  I sat on the ledge of the hard stone bench in front of the ATM machines.  I was on the edge, as if I could stand up at any moment, convincing myself I didn’t need to sit behind that pathetic empty cup.  But it wouldn’t let me leave.  I had to sit, watching people pass by, slightly smiling at me out of pity, but not sympathy.  I looked down, but I could still see children staring at me, and I could feel my presence being ignored.  A man approached me, and a young girl trailed behind him.  He talked to me, and looked me in the eye too.  His daughter looked at me too, with eyes that listened.  Hers didn’t look too different from mine.  Big, brown, smiling eyes.  “Two weeks and four days,” I responded when asked how long I had been out of work.  A wave of sorrow went through me as I came to realize how sad it was.  I had counted the days, like a prisoner engraving tally bars into the wall of a prison cell.  Before I knew it, we finished talking.  He got up from the bench and was about to leave when I said “Thank you.  I really appreciate it,” and I shook his hand.  He smiled.  I smiled too.   
I looked down at my cup: one dollar.


The author's comments:

Typically social medias/networks are the ones to bring me down in terms of academic achievements, but this time it was social networking that inspired me.  On Facebook, I fell in love with a page called Humans of New York City (you've probably heard of it).  Humans of New York City was founded by a regular photographer who decided to show the world outside of his city how amazing its people are.  He posts photos of random but unique citizens and captions it with a quote or a story.  Despite living on the other side of the country, the founder of H.O.N.Y.C. made me realize that there is an entirely different side of your neighborhood, and those people from the other side still belong to your community.  I initially was going to do an interview, but I felt that might make people I’ve never interacted with uncomfortable (I didn’t want to take photos of them either, that’d be even more uncomfortable).  Alternatively, I just talked to people.  I walked around my neighborhood with my dad, and we talked to people who either looked like they needed someone to talk to, or were asking for some spare change for dinner.  Once we had finished talking to them, I’d write stories about them.

What I hope is that members of our society realize the stragners you cross the street to avoid, or the occupied sleeping bags you step around are part of our community. 

So, next time you pass by someone who looks like they haven’t slept in a bed for days, don’t just use them as a personal reminder of how fortunate you are, make them feel as fortunate as yourself.  Don’t just throw unwanted pennies in their cups or guitar cases; talk to them as if they were the people they are...