Hiding Behind A Smile | Teen Ink

Hiding Behind A Smile

By Kj_1122 BRONZE, Fort Riley, Kansas
Kj_1122 BRONZE, Fort Riley, Kansas

There is a girl I know, I’ve known her my whole life. She comes to school hiding behind her smile, telling everybody that there is nothing wrong. She would wear jeans and a t-shirt, but always wearing something long. Her name is Krystal. Last year she had piercings, this year she decides to be natural, no piercings, no lies, and no drama. She would go home start homework, do chores, and then eat dinner. But the last thing she would do is lock herself in her room and listen to music, teaching herself how to dance. Krystal would dance jazz, pom, contemporary, hip-hop, you get what I’m saying. She loved to dance and nobody knew about it, she had done gymnastics and cheerleading, but then she moved to a new school and joined the dance team, she loved it. She was on the dance team for a year and a half, and then she moved to a different state, New York. The weather is different where she is from.

Now Krystal is in the eighth grade about to go into high school. Eighth grade isn’t easy for her but her parents make sure that she knows that they love her and she is smart, she just can’t see it in her. Another thing is, is that she gets bullied. It all started in the seventh grade two girls didn’t like Krystal, she never knew why and she still doesn’t know now. Since the beginning of eighth grade more people joined the two girls, calling her dirty names, making fun of her race, and spreading rumors saying that she is pregnant, or that she is bisexual, or lesbian. She never told anybody that she was bullied until the week before the end of the semester. Krystal doesn’t like to be called names or hearing rumors about her because so many people have gone up to her asking about it.

Krystal never knew how many people have gone through what she has. Her parents are divorced, two younger sisters, two youngest brothers and a stepfather. She’s sick, mentally, physically, but others think that she’s a freak. She has a sickness called depression. No one knows about it, but her family is just not really supportive about it either. People at school really don’t help it by calling her names making fun of how she looks or dresses, but she thinks that having someone in her life that loves her will really help with her depression. Krystal really likes this boy that she met in the beginning of the year, his name Joel, he’s tall, has brown hair, bright blue eyes, deep dimples, smart, funny, respectful, and sweet. They have always liked each other but they were never the same type. Joel was always the type to hang out with the popular kids and she was always the quit mysterious type. Maybe the type that you would of never expected to be together.

Once Krystal finally had the guts to ask Joel for his number, she asked but she told someone to ask him for her and he gave her his number. She thought it was a fake until she texted him and he messaged back telling her he was waiting for her to text. She freaked out because she never knew that he liked her. Krystal kind of thought he did but she always thought it was impossible because he was always the type that had friends in every class. They had computer class together, that’s the class they met. They always made eye contact and Krystal would smile when they look away and Joel got the butterflies in his stomach, just like the big rollercoaster butterflies. After a couple of days they finally started talking in person, but they were too nervous to talk and their faces would turn as red as a rose just from embarrassment. A couple weeks later they started dating, they were the ‘cutest couple’ at the school.

Joel was very respectful to Krystal, he never tried to do anything that she didn’t want to do, he was protective over her, he always listened, he made her smile, he made her laugh, and he never ever left her side. He was the never the type that wanted one thing from a girl, he never went to parties, he never drank alcoholic beverages, he never smoked, and never did drugs. Krystal never really knew why Joel liked her. He explained to her so many times why but she couldn’t just get it in her head.

Krystal and Joel loved each other to death, they’ve been together for over a year, they were never able to let each other go, but them being together was frustrating because Krystal was never allowed to go out anywhere besides school and home and anywhere with her family. She never thought it was fair but her family just tried to protect her from what they thought was bad. August 23, 2015, Krystal got tired of everyone and everything and cut her wrist, but she went too deep, and died. Her family was hurt, Joel got to upset and hung himself because he didn’t want to live without Krystal.