A Lesson Learnt | Teen Ink

A Lesson Learnt

By tarandeep BRONZE, Lucknow, Other
tarandeep BRONZE, Lucknow, Other

"The woods are lovely dark and deep but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep"

“Oh!Not again”,exclaimed Rajeev when the lights went off.” “It’s very common in villages,so get used to it now”, said Rajeev’s mother. “You know mother at times I really worry about my future.I just don’t want to be like my father and toil in the fields day and night”, said Rajeev.Before Sugandha, Rajeev’s mother or Rajeev could continue their talk Rajeev’s father, Mohan entered the room.Intervening in their conversation , which he had heard a bit , he said, “Rajeev,by means of hardwork you will definitely do wonders in life and I’m sure you will never have to work in the fields like me.” “But father  from where we will get the money for my future education?”, said Rajeev in an irritated and frustated tone. “Have faith in God and he will put things in order”, said Mohan.
Days passed by and almost every second day Rajeev used to complain to his mother regarding their poverty. Rajeev’s father was a small farmer and Rajeev’s mother was a housewife. Rajeev used to go to a school in the neighbourhood and their poverty was constantly bothering him as now he was in high school and the next year he had to move to the city for his future studies. Rajeev used to always curse his fate. One day when Rajeev returned home from school he was astonished to see the door of his house open and his mother was also missing. He immediately approached his father and told him the entire situation. The news of Sugandha missing spread like wild fire in the village and both Rajeev and Mohan were trying their level best to find her. A police complaint was also lodged.
After two days of continuous search in the village,Mohan and Rajeev decided to search for Sugandha in the city nearby. “You go and search in the main city and I will search for her here”, said Mohan sobbing. While searching for Sugandha,Rajeev came across a boy who was roughly of his age and he saw him throwing stones at a mango tree.He saw that the boy had a wound on his leg and it had a dressing. The boy was throwing stones at a mango tree and collecting mangoes. He went near the boy and asked him “Dear if you don’t mind can you tell me why you are doing this?” “Friend, see I  am throwing stones at this colossal mango tree but still in return it is giving me fruits. In a similar manner our parents think well of us even if we hurt them.” Before that boy could say anything further Rajeev began to cry. “Why are you crying dear?”, asked the boy. “My mother…….. she is missing.” Saying this Rajeev Rajeev showed his mother’s photograph to that boy and asked if he had seen her anywhere. “Is she your mother?” “Yes”, replied Rajeev. “Friend you should consider yourself as the richest and the happiest person on this planet for having this woman as your mother.” “Do you know where she is?”, asked Rajeev. “Yes, come with me.”, replied the boy.
The boy took Rajeev to a huge house. It was looking like a castle . He told him that it was his house and asked him to come in. Rajeev was taken aback when he saw his mother doing work over there. Rajeev could not stop himself from going and hugging his mother. The boy then said , “Dear, you must be thinking I am very fortunate to have these luxuries and thus I must be very happy but it’s not so.” The boy told Rajeev that he had lost his mother a month ago and no worldly pleasure gave him happiness anymore. He told Rajeev that his mother saw him playing and when he fell and hurt his leg his mother immediately came to his rescue. This reminded the boy of his mother and he began crying. Sugandha thought that the boy was crying because he was hurt and asked him where his house was so that she could leave him there. The boy narrated the incident to his father , who was co-incidentely present in the house and he was so touched by Sugandha’s gesture that he asked her if she would work at their place. Sugandha readily agreed as she was in dire need of money for her son. She asked the boy’s father to send her salary every month to the village for her son so that he may complete his future education.
After listening to the boy’s words Rajeev felt very bad for his behaviour. He held himself responsible for his mother leaving the house. He felt that he was so lucky to have such a loving mother and such a hardworking father.Despite being poor, he felt God had given him priceless things i.e. such wonderful parents.He was extremely sorry for his behaviour and never cursed his fate again.