Tick Tock | Teen Ink

Tick Tock

By KTW-S BRONZE, Harker Heights, Texas
KTW-S BRONZE, Harker Heights, Texas

Tick. Tock. Tick. I cannot stand this torment anymore; it’s starting to invade my thoughts. Tock. Slowly, yet gradually it chips away at my sanity, effectively making it’s way to my breaking point. I trapped myself in this library for a noble cause, but I had no idea that a clock would foil my valiant efforts. Tick. It’s been one whole week since I started my protest in a heroic attempt to prevent the city from shutting down the public library. Tock. However, my efforts so far have been in vain as the city refuses to negotiate with me, so I’ve remained here surviving on the delectable snacks the hypocrite librarians confiscated from people. Tock. All was going well, except for one unexpected obstacle, the infuriating sound of the clock. Tick.
The noise has infected my thoughts; all that I hear are constant ticks and tocks. For the first couple of days in my protest the sound was only a mild annoyance.  Eventually I became fed up, so I took the clock off the wall and turned it off, but it just kept ticking, as though it was mocking me, trying to drive me insane. Tock. I slammed the clock down to the ground and watched as it exploded into pieces, but not even a minute later I heard it again; a familiar, unwanted, Tick, Tock, Tick. The clock was broken, but the noise was still there, trapped in the books, echoing through the walls. The sound lingers around to torture me.
For the past couple of days I have been trying to distract myself from the sound. I’ve read a multitude of books, I’ve played games on the computer, and I’ve even filled out all those pointless surveys in the magazines but to no avail. It’s manifested into an unavoidable enemy slowly swaying me to stop pursuit of my valiant goal. It taunts me with its increasingly irritating noise, and it’s working.
  I can’t stand it anymore; the clock is ticking me off. It’s already apparent that the city, nor the clamoring people outside won’t tock to me to negotiate terms. I cannot stick around for this, even for these books still currently in stock. The sound enters my ears, crawling around like ticks. It’s time that I walk, I feel like bashing my head with a brick. This is no shock, to stop me the clock was ever so slick. No longer can I remain in this library as the clock continues to mock, the front door I kick, when outside a crowd begins to flock, and satisfyingly I hear the door close with a click. Tock. Tick. Tock.