seconds before | Teen Ink

seconds before

Seconds Before

I sat on a bench in a small room. The smell of sweat and manure lingered in the air. As I sat waiting for my name to be called i slid on my boots, put my vest on, grabbed my gloves, and put my hat over my head. Just when I was getting up the door swung open. An average sized man stood there and waved me out the threshold. The hallway was long and narrow with only one door leading out as we made it to the final door I stepped out to hear a crowd cheering and bright lights. I lowered my hat so I wasn’t blinded.

I stood and gazed at all the people cheering and clapping. Finally, I came to my senses and looked around for where my chute was. I spotted it and started making my way over there. A couple of young girls, about 19, stopped me and asked me for my autograph. I smiled, signed both of their pictures, nodded, and kept walking. Then I found myself staring into the eyes of bull known as “Little Yellow Jacket”. He weighs as much as a mid size sedan. He stood grunting and snorting. He stomped a couple of times with his powerful legs. His eyes were wide and full of anxiety not sure of what was to come. I climbed over the fence and on to his back. I warmed up the rosin on my gloves so my hand would have a better grip on the rope. I slid my hand through the gap and tightened the rope down.

Some of the hands slapped me on the back giving me last minute words of encouragement and a couple good lucks. One of the rodeo clowns leaned in and said, “Just get out from underneath him and out of the way and we’ll take care of the rest.” I paused for a moment or two and replied, “Thanks”, as he patted me on the shoulder. I got into position and leaned forward a little to brace for the impact. I nodded, the gate burst open and the bull launched me back and forth with his bucking and kicking. The eight seconds felt like an eternity. Everything was going in slow motion. The buzzer rang signaling that the minimum time was made. I rolled over his back but when I did so he turns and bucked so my riding hand was caught in the loop of the rope. I was being dragged all around and a few times my leg was trampled on sending a sharp pain. Just as I got my hand out he reared to the right and I was flung into one of the other rider’s chutes.

Everything was black.

When I came around the rodeo clown was huddled over me asking me to wake up then the EMT ran over to check all of my vitals. I told them I was fine so I tried to get up but fell immediately back down. I took a couple of deep breaths and stood up slowly, Picked up my hat, and wiped the dirt off. Just as I put my hat on the whole crowd cheered so I waved. I took a good look and walked out of the arena and into the medical room. It’s crazy what happened just eight seconds before.