Not All Dragons Breathe Fire | Teen Ink

Not All Dragons Breathe Fire

April 24, 2015
By CaitlinCallanan GOLD, New City,
CaitlinCallanan GOLD, New City,
14 articles 0 photos 0 comments

“Do all dragons breathe fire?”
As he spoke I watched his eyes dilate,
he wanted answers I just couldn’t give him yet.

“Not all”.
I spoke softly and carefully
For I didn’t want to startle the sleeping beast inside of me.

“What about this one?”
He didn’t look scared at all. All he looked was beautiful.

“No, this one breathes something entirely more evil”.
Now he looked afraid.

“Can you show me?”
He didn’t mean that.

“In time the creatures will show themselves to you my dear.”
He wasn’t sure exactly what I meant by that but neither did I.

The fourth of August he found me punching holes in my wall. My knuckles were bloody and my face distraught with pain and fear. “Stop it, what are you doing!” He screamed into my ears and I watched as his words made their way around my brain and soaked my mind. My face dropped and the color left my cheeks. His didn’t though, his face didn’t fail to change, it didn’t alter from the look of disbelief and something else in his eyes. I think it might have been realization. I cried and fell to the floor. At that moment I think he realized the only monster he could ever fear was me and he backed up quickly and slammed into my greatly chipped lavender walls, the color he helped me pick out. He said the happy shade would brighten my mood. As I watched him run out my door and start his car I swear for a minute I breathed fire.