Final Day | Teen Ink

Final Day

April 21, 2015
By silententhusiast SILVER, Morgan City, Louisiana
silententhusiast SILVER, Morgan City, Louisiana
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Today is my last day. I can feel it in my heart. I can also see the way God has enhanced the world around me so that I could remember it at its best. From what I can see through this hospital window, the leaves look extra crisp outside as they fall from their trees. I picture them as skydivers with jubilant faces and adrenaline running through their veins. Sky diving—that is one thing out of many that will never be scratched off of my bucket list. Knowing that I will die today does not cause fear to send chills down my spine, nor does it fill my eyes with tears. After numerous unsuccessful chemotherapy sessions and countless ignored wishes to get well, I realized that a long and healthy life was never in my favor. With this in my mind, I emotionally prepare myself for my ending. Today is it, and I can confidently say that I am ready.
It is a Sunday, which means my entire family comes to visit me. I know that a hospital isn nott the preferable place to be, but they all act as if it is as exciting as Disney World for my sake. One by one family members pile themselves into my personalized hospital room. The most important person in my life enters the room last: my nana. She walks to me, leans over my bed, and kisses me on the forehead. While looking me in the eyes with a smile on her face she says, “Hey, there.” Nana is my guardian; she has raised me since I was five. She is the only person able to look past my pale face, hairless head, and limp body and talk to me without expressing pity for me. She has always seen me and will always remember me as I was before cancer, which was sun-kissed, athletic, and vibrant.
“I have something to say.” I blurt out. I look around the room. They all turn to statues. “Today is my last day. I can feel it.”
“Stop with that nonsense, Sweetie,” says Aunt Joan. Her statement is followed with nothing but agreements.
“Let the girl speak!” Nana interrupts them all.
I hesitate, “I-I honestly have only a little to say. I love all of you. I appreciate all you’ve ever done for me, but I’m ready to go. I’m sorry for being a burden sometimes.”
“You are never a burden to any of us, only a joy. We all love you,” says Nana. She was the only one able to speak.
“Thanks.” I murmur as I look down and smile. I have a large lump in my throat form the realization that even though I am prepared for today, they probably are not. I feel the room melt like the wax of a lit candle as their tears overflow their eyes. For the first time in a while, I also crack.
   It is 9 P.M. While lying beside me, Nana closes her eyes. “Nana,” I quietly say.
“Yes?” She replies.
“Should I be scared?” I ask.
“Not the least bit. You have an angel waiting for you. He will be there,” she says. She then starts to snore lightly. I feel the sudden urge to stand up. I slowly get out of bed, trying to ignore the brittleness of my bones. I have not stood on my own in a month. Excited, I turn around to wake Nana. I freeze when my eyes lock with the scene before me. Next to Nana lies a poor excuse for a human body. It has a green tent and sunken in eyes, but it has a slight smile on its face. I recognize that smile. It is my own. The poor excuse for a human body was mine. This is the end. A light from behind me brightens the room. Swiftly, I turn to see a man that I haven not seen since I was five years old. His hand is outstretched, and he wears a grin on his face. I move slowly to him, dragging my feet. When my hand meets his, a wave of warmth and happiness passes through me, and I say, “I missed you so much, Daddy.”