Losing | Teen Ink

Losing

Jane never felt this feeling before.  She had butterflies in her stomach, her heart was racing.  He was unbelievably handsome, more than any movie star to walk this earth.  Jane didn’t know him too well, she didn’t expect to know him as well as she would.  She could list his favorite color, candy, or how his eyes light up with pure happiness when he’s talking about things he’s passionate about.  Michael was her first love.
Jane woke up from her afternoon nap to a text from her close friend saying, “We’re going to my friend’s graduation party in an hour, be ready.”  Jane jolted from her bed and looked in her long, full-body mirror to only discover she was not ready at all.  She put on her Clinique make-up and hopped into her sundress.  Jane gazed out her window to see her friend, Anne, who was waiting in the front of her house.  She sprinted out the front door and to her friend’s car.
When Jane stepped out of the car, she listened to the noise of people that filled the atmosphere around her.  Jane shook hands and exchanged greetings.  All of a sudden she bumped into Michael. 
“Hey there!  I’m sorry I bumped into you.”  Jane managed to express. 
“Don’t worry about it.”  He extended his hand 
“My name is Michael.” 
“Nice to meet you.  My name is Jane.”  She couldn’t conceal her happiness behind her poker face, so slowly Jane began to smile.
Michael smirked and said, “Nice to meet you Jane.” 
That was it, she was head over heels for this guy and all he had to do was say hello.  There was just something about him, something that couldn’t be explained by words or science.  Jane knew this wouldn’t be the last time she would speak to him.
Michael and Jane spoke the rest of the night about life and things they enjoyed and the rest was history.  They did everything together from sleepovers, dinners, shopping, watching movies, and talking for hours upon hours.  Jane was mad about him and she knew Michael felt the same about her.  They were both just young and in love. 
Whenever Jane would speak to her mom about Michael and they’re adventures she would talk so poorly of them, “You’re young and you two don’t know what love is.”  Jane’s mother was wrong and Jane knew she was.   Love was waking up excited to see the only person who could make the sluggish day of school go by faster.  Love was the ‘Drive safe.’ text from Michael when Jane would leave his house.  Just because they were young and still in high school, didn’t mean they couldn’t know what the meaning of love was.
Days turned into months, and months turned into years and one day they we’re laying on his soft, grey sofa watching Django Unchained and he turned to Jane. 
“Jane, you are all I have ever dreamed of.” 
“Oh Michael, you’re so sweet.  I’m so lucky to be with you.  I love you more than words could ever describe.”
“I know that Jane.  That’s why I need to ask you and important question.”
“What is it?”
“Close your eyes Jane.”  There was a silence and Jane kept smiling because she suspected what this was.
“Open your eyes Jane.”  There Michael was, standing on one knew holding black box in his hands.  “Jane will you make me the happiest man on this earth and marry me?  I knew I was in love with you from the moment I met you at that graduation party.  I’ve never felt that way about anyone and I know that you’re the one I want to spend the rest of my life with.” 
Jane started to cry and was silent.  Michael muttered, “Will you?”  Jane replied with excitement and yelled “Yes!”  She’s been waiting for this moment for two years.  They were in their fourth year of college and were planning on moving into a house together next year.  Life was perfect for them and nothing could get in their way, until…
Michael came home the next morning with the smell of alcohol on his breath.  Jane could smell the odor from the kitchen getting stronger and stronger as Michael was approaching her.  He stumbled into the kitchen and grabbed a glass of water.  He wasn’t home all night, which he had never done before.  Jane could sense what he’d done and asked the question she feared the most in her life. 
Did you cheat on me?”  She was scared for the answer because she knew she couldn’t bare it. 
“What are you talking about?”  He angrily yelled to her. 
“You heard me Michael!  Did you cheat on me?!  Michael started to cry and that’s when she knew what the answer would be. 
He quietly stuttered “Yes Jane, I-I -I’m sorry.”  Jane busted into tears and stomped out of the house.  Michael walked over to the bench Jane was sitting at that was a block from their apartment.
“Jane I can’t stop crying.  I am so sorry, I will never lay a hand on another women.”
“I believe you Michael.”
“Really?  So you don’t want to break up?” 
Jane put her hand in his and then pulled it away and set her trembling arms onto her lap.  Michael opened his hand to discover there was her gorgeous engagement ring.  He looked at the ring and then proceeded to look at her.  Jane spoke to him with a hurt voice and said “I’m sorry.” 
She arose from the bench hugged Michael and walked to their apartment.  Michael came back to get all his clothes and furniture and packed it all up, he was gone within a week.  She spent her whole adult life with a man who could just betray her.  Jane just didn’t lose her fiancé, she lost what the meaning of love was.  Jane was scared she’d never be able to trust a man again.