Never In Accordance | Teen Ink

Never In Accordance

April 10, 2015
By JJonBroadway SILVER, Lake Jackson, Texas
JJonBroadway SILVER, Lake Jackson, Texas
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"That's always seemed so ridiculous to me. That people would want to be around someone because they're pretty. That's like choosing your breakfast cereals based on color instead of taste." -Margo Roth Spiegelman (John Green)


The day is almost here. I have been waiting almost a whole year. My sideshow, finally open. Being a fifteen-year-old sideshow artist was harder than it seemed. People underestimated you, disrespected you, and most of all, thought they were better than you. Just because I was a “child”. A child ten times more mature and and sophisticated than they are. But now, I will show them all. Kassandra Loome, business owner. And tomorrow, my opening debut.
   I walk into the old chapel. This church was once an underground slave hold. You can go into the basement and find the trapdoors where they would hold them. As step onto the stage, I suddenly picture myself doing my act. But then, something goes wrong. I choke. But I never choke. However, that fact doesn’t stop the fear crawling into my brain. Always watching from the back of my mind. Waiting for a moment of weakness.
   “Kass! What are you doing?” I look up. Sara Goodman, My assistant and aspiring sideshow artist. “Just….thinking about tomorrow. Are you ready?” I knew the answer. my thirteen year old assistant had been ranting about it for weeks.
   “Yes! Thank you so much for helping me with my make-up! I really appreciate it.” She smiled. I sighed internally. Sara was nice, but she was nothing compared to D.K., my old assistant. And my best friend. But he was attending to wedding plans. And so, after a year of professional training, Sara was my best backup.
    “Are you nervous? You look….scared.” She looked up to my face. I was a whole foot taller than her. “Yeah, I am, actually. Really nervous. I feel like I’m going to mess up. Badly.” “But you never mess up, silly. You're going to be great. I promise.”
   That night, at dinner, I couldn’t eat. Later, I was unable to fall asleep, just tossing and turning all night. The next day, I got to the chapel at 9:00 am sharp. Sara, as usual, was late.
   “I’m so sorry, Kassandra! I lost track of time but I’m here now and-” She looked around. I knew what she was thinking. In the two hours I had been alone, I had transformed the whole place. The red neon decorations stood out against the black wallpaper. “Oh,” Was all she could get out. “We open in an hour. We do a performance every hour, on the hour, then they can tour the museum.”
   “Is Todd coming with the animals?” She asked. Her voice quavered. I knew she hated snakes, and Ginni was the snake lady. She had Todd bring her snakes here during practice. I nodded. “Don’t worry. It will be fine.” A long pause. “We should practice.” I gestured to the stage.
   “Guess who?” We looked up. “Jessa! What’s going on?” I was happy. Jessa is the resident bearded lady, and she happens to be amazing. “Just getting my costume together! Only an hour to go!” Hopefully, everyone else shows up. Todd was supposed to get here half an hour ago, and Genni, at 9:00, when I got here. The door opens. “A little help?” It’s Todd. Thank goodness. As I rush out to help him, I notice the very large cage. Oh my god. As if I can handle anything else. A new animal.
   I honestly hope I can pull this off.


The author's comments:

Watching Freakshow on AMC really messed me up. XD