Hidden | Teen Ink

Hidden

“Twenty six, twenty seven, twenty eight, twenty nine, thirty, ready or not here I come!”
Her shout echoed across the hall as I pushed myself deeper into the coats. I sat atop a suitcase in the back of the hall closet. This was the magic spot, the best in the whole house. Having stolen the brilliant idea from my brothers, I discovered that I could not be found when the closet door was opened; you had to shove your hand into the coats in order to reach my secret place. And there I sat, trying to keep my breath calm and even, so that I couldn’t be heard. I hear footsteps pounding in the hall and wait anxiously for them to pass. I relax into the dark closet and allow the warmth of winter jackets to surround me. After a while I begin to be a little concerned. I know that my hiding spot is fantastic, but Karen hasn’t even opened the closet door to check in here at all. I check my new light blue baby-g watch, admiring the orange glow of the numbers. It’s been thirteen minuets. I slide out of my place and open the door ever so slightly, I peak my head out to see what’s going on. Not seeing anyone in the hall I climb out and walk towards the den. I can hear the sounds of the television and giggling girls. I peer over and see all my friends, at my house, for my ninth birthday party sitting watching television. Steam pours out of my ears like in the Tom and Jerry cartoons as I realize what has happened. In hide and seek, they left me hidden.

cpamom said...
on Jan. 30 2009 at 6:01 pm
very touching!