You Are My Sunshine (play) | Teen Ink

You Are My Sunshine (play)

By aeglow12 SILVER, Livingston, New Jersey
aeglow12 SILVER, Livingston, New Jersey

"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."

-Maya Angelou

CAST OF CHARACTERS

LINDSAY: Her name is Lindsay, but most of her friends call her “Liz.” When her mother needs a favor, she includes her middle and last name, calling her Lindsay Marie Sonnenberg. She is 16 years old, turning 17. Her favorite song is “You Are My Sunshine,” because her dad  used to sing it to her when she was a baby. Although she doesn’t typically enjoy sports, Lindsay is a part of the JV Cheerleading team. This is the only sport she actually enjoys doing (yes cheerleading is a sport).  Being a cheerleader has given her an advantage to talk to boys. Lindsay is always afraid of men because she is afraid they are going to leave, because her father left when she was little.

FATHER: Father of Lindsay Sonnenberg and divorced to her mother. He left Lindsay and her mother when she was five years old. He has felt very guilty ever since, but doesn’t want Lindsay to know why he left because he doesn’t want her to see him in such a bad place.  

SETTING
The scene takes place in the dining room of Lindsay’s house. The room is painted dark green with a chandelier on the ceiling. There are two windows, two on the left, with bamboo shades. On the right side of the room is a foldable table with a white table cloth covering the table. There are napkins, and plastic forks and knives. The dining room table, which is in the center of the room, has party decorations in the center.

THE STORY SO FAR
Lindsay is turning 17 years old today. She is having a birthday party at her house with all her friends and family. She is excited that she turning seventeen, however, she wishes her father was with her to celebrate.

AT RISE:       Lindsay is setting up the table and
party decorations for the party. She is looking around the dining room admiring her work.  

LINDSAY

(steps back to admire tables)
Perfect!
(the doorbell rings. LINDSAY walks towards stage left.)

FATHER
(Off stage)
Hi honey, Happy birthday!
(LINDSAY goes stomping on to the stage with FATHER)

LINDSAY
Why are you here?

FATHER
What do you mean? It’s your birthday.

LINDSAY
Well you haven’t been around for the past 12 years.

FATHER
I know honey, I know. I am so sorry I left, but I’m here now aren’t I?

LINDSAY
Here now? Really Dad, really? You don’t even deserve to be called “Dad.” You left out of the blue! You dropped me off at school and said “Bye.” I was five years old Dad; I thought you meant you were picking me up after school, but no! You f***ing left. (Beet) Why are you even here? You can’t just show up and say “Hey honey, Happy Birthday!” Don’t try to say “sorry,” or “it won’t happen again.” That is bulls***, complete and utter bulls***. Do you have any idea what Mom and I went through? How hard it was, for a five year old, to see her own mother cry and have no idea what to do? I was so f***ing scared, dad. Did you even care about Mom and me? Do you know how hard it is for me on Father’s Day?
(wipes tears off her cheeks)
FATHER
I really am sorry honey, but I had to leave you guys.

LINDSAY
You had to leave? No you didn’t, you could have solved whatever it was you had to solve here, with Mom and me.

FATHER
I just…. I couldn’t.

LINDSAY

You know what? I’m done; I can’t deal with this right now.
  (tries to walk away)
FATHER
(grabs Lindsay forcefully)
Wait!

LINDSAY
What the f*** do you want?

FATHER
Your mother invited me.

LINDSAY
Mom? But why would she…I don’t understand.

FATHER
Your mother kicked me out.
LINDSAY
What do you mean she “kicked you out?”

FATHER
Your mother kicked me out twelve years ago, when you were around five years old. She did not want me to be around you because I was.. well a drunk. It was very difficult for me to stop and I really did try my best to stop especially because I have a child. I understood your mother’s decision and she filed for divorce.
LINDSAY
Why are you telling me this NOW… of all the days?

FATHER
Your mother told me I can come because I wanted to say good bye. Not just “good bye and I will see you next week,” but “goodbye because I have stage 5 brain cancer and I wanted to see you one last time before I’m gone and never come back.”

LINDSAY
(starts crying into palms of hands)

FATHER
I love you so much honey….
(walks closer to LINDSAY)
(kisses LINDSAY on the forehead.)

FATHER
(walks towards stage right.)
(turns around, looks at LINDSAY)

LINDSAY
(hears doorbell ring)
Please stay! I need you. Don't leave.

FATHER
(hands LINDSAY a piece of paper.)
(Walks toward stage right)

LINDSAY
(looks down, opens piece of paper.)
“You are my sunshine, my only sunshine. You make me happy when skies are grey. You never know, dear, how much I love you.”

(lights go out)

This is a play I wrote for one of my classes.