Hostage | Teen Ink

Hostage

March 26, 2015
By David Trinh BRONZE, San Jose, California
David Trinh BRONZE, San Jose, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Beep, beep, beep, beep! The alarm clock rang with no mercy. I was forced to open my eyes. I wanted to press the snooze button again but in the past 20 minutes I’ve pressed it four times. I would be late if I didn’t wake up. I would’ve preferred taking the night shift instead of waking up at this time to work at 24 Hours Open! store. It was literally called 24 Hours Open and it made me sad but at least they gave good money. Then I noticed how late it actually was. I was to get there by 7:30 but it was already 7:15. The shock woke me up and quickly, looking like a mess while at it, I dashed into my clothes, brushed my teeth, and jumped into the car. I wondered if there was a record for getting ready to go to work, because I would’ve nabbed it. I arrived at exactly 7:29 luckily and bursted through the door. For the next hour I questioned my life as multiple people walked through the door. A customer asked me, “Do you have any more of these pickles in stock?” And showed me the label. I told her that I’d go check. While looking for the pickles, I heard screams and quickly looked out the little window on the door. I saw someone with a hood and a gun. I duck behind a shelf before he could see me and took my found out, dialing 911. The operator asked the usual, “What’s your emergency?” I answered all the questions and looked out again to check. I saw a kid screaming and the man in the hood pointing his gun at the kid. I never thought I would do it but I ran out and heard screams and a gunshot. For a second I thought I hadn’t come in time, and then the pain kicked in. I saw people crowding around me and heard sirens, when everything went black. I woke up to see my brother, an immature 14 year old. He said, “Thank god! You’re alive! Look, you’re in the papers! You won’t believe what’s happened in the past 3 hours!”