Coffee Shoppe | Teen Ink

Coffee Shoppe

March 26, 2015
By reemalina BRONZE, Cupertion, California
reemalina BRONZE, Cupertion, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Jack and I walk into the coffee shoppe and get in line to order. We order what we always do: he gets a flat white and I get hot chocolate because I can’t handle real coffee. The barista Amelia adds jasmine whipped cream to Jack’s drink, because she knows he likes it. I can’t explain why. It doesn’t taste that good. Jack tips her extra today and we find a table.
“Jack, jasmine whipped cream is gross.” I say. Jack scoops up some of the cream in his fingers, pulls my shoulders towards him and smears it all over my face. I let him; I’ll probably never have coffee with him again...
Jack’s smirk turns to a snarl when I say, “I wish you weren’t leaving.”
“I wish you hadn’t reminded me. I was enjoying this.” he says as he unwraps his scarf. He looks radiant. I clasp my mug in my hands and look down into my reflection in the hot chocolate. I look tired. Now I just see blur. Tears are welling up in my eyes. Soon they are overflowing. I can’t help it.
“Jack, please don’t leave.” I beg.
“I’ve already told you, I really want this job- I’ll never get the opportunity again. I’m sure you could visit sometimes.”
“But I can only afford so many trips, you know that.”
“Yeah...I know.” Jack starts drinking his coffee, but I slam my hand on the table. His drink splashes on his cheeks and jacket. “Woah-”
“You know, sometimes I feel like you really don’t care.” I say coldly. I may never be able to see him again and all he has to say is “yeah”?
“About what?” he asks, shocked.
I sigh and press my palms to my face.“I don’t know, me?”
“Why do you think that?” Jack scowls.
“You’re choosing this job over me! We’ve been friends for seven years...we share an apartment...I feel like after today I’m going to lose you and you don’t mind.”
“No- Dan, I think you’re choosing yourself over me. This is my dream. Why aren’t you happy for me?” His glare bores into me. “And you’ve gotta have other friends...are you telling me you’ve lived here your whole life and I’m your only friend? I’ve asked you to come with me, but I don’t know that I want you to come if you don’t even want me to go.” I feel a physical pain shoot through my chest and I realize he’s right. “I’ll call you.” He stands up and walks out of the shoppe. He’s left his scarf... I almost shout out after him but catch myself.
I sit with silent tears dripping onto my lap until Jacks drink is cold, then I finish it for him. It tastes horrible but it distracts me from him. I’ll probably get addicted to his stupid flat white with jasmine whipped cream, and I’ll always be in love with him and he’ll sometimes be in love with me.