He was a Fighter! | Teen Ink

He was a Fighter!

He was a Fighter!

A day passed since Jose had been missing. Later that day the cops found him slowly swinging from a rope. The thing was, he was smiling. It seemed like his suicide had released him and he was happy now. Jose thought no one cared, and he thought they’d all laugh. He was wrong. Everyone cared, and no one laughed!

The guy’s name was Jose Purvis. The police finally called his family late that night.  Michelle was affected the most! Michelle was Jose’s little cousin. It destroyed her! The only thing she wanted to do now was sit in her cold, dark room. She wouldn’t even talk to anyone for days! Even though she was a child, she somewhat understood. He was gone, never coming back. Michelle thought to herself, “He was always there for me, and the one time he needs me most, I’m not there.”

A couple days later Jose’s family held a funeral for him. His family and friends were getting up to say things about him. Lastly, it was Michelle’s turn. What she said shocked them all. Her exact words were, “Just because you’re sad or angry doesn’t mean it’s time to go. Stay strong little soldiers, we need you. Just know your clock’s still ticking, so don’t stop its beat.” Michelle sobbed quietly as a couple tears slowly slid down her rosy red cheeks. The entire room grew completely silent. You could see the pain in everyone’s eyes. Just deep, dark sorrow. Every single person in that room had been astonished by how much his death impacted a little girl! The funeral eventually ended.

Finally, Jose’s friends and family went home. Michelle wanted to know what happened. The only person who knew was Jose. Michelle and her parents came home real late that night. Eventually, Michelle fell asleep. After that she started dreaming about Jose. 

It was a chilly summer night. Jose was upset for some reason. He had honestly been through a lot. First of all, his dad died. That must have shattered his heart into a thousand pieces. Also, his big brother went to jail. He felt like he had no one at all! Later on, he found himself in a barn with a smooth rope wrapped around his neck like a snake. Jose was trying to think about the good times to feel better. He remembered one time he met his little cousin, Michelle. As soon as he saw her laying there in her crib, he knew he must protect her from this messed up world. Sadly, that memory wasn’t enough. The bad thoughts started flowing into his mind like a river. He thought about the names he had been called. Jose had made so many mistakes in life. He couldn’t take it anymore! He thought, “How could anyone love someone as messed up as me?”  Jose didn’t know what to do. So, he took the easiest way out and gave up. He didn’t win this war. His final words were, “You wanted a soldier but it wasn’t me! I’m sorry.” Jose was sorry for giving up and not being able to stay strong anymore. He was sorry he couldn’t be there for the few people who had actually cared. Then he left. It happened within the blink of an eye! The barn grew completely silent.

No one will ever know why Jose did this to himself. No matter how much we try, we can’t turn back the clock. Michelle still thinks about Jose to this day. Those memories will never leave us. They will stay with us forever. Memories are like the stars in the sky. Some of them are bight and some of them are dark.
You can’t just leave. Your life is like a precious diamond.

Everyone will notice if you’re not here.  Your life does matter because you are someone. You’re you! There is nothing better than being yourself.  Someone does care. I care! You’re not alone! This is for anyone who has had suicidal thoughts and is still alive. It’s nice to meet you.  We’re in this together, and you can win this fight! You’re a fighter! Stay strong little soldiers! For those who lost this war. Rest in peace soldiers. You are gone but never forgotten!