Love New York | Teen Ink

Love New York

March 26, 2015
By Anonymous

Love New York

My name’s Elizabeth. I’m a teenage girl and my dream is to travel the world with my friends, Alice, Samuel, and Isabelle. Just a few days ago, Alice had gotten an invitation to sing at Carnegie Hall after she sent an a recording of her music. We were all delighted and of course we had to go with her. We never ever passed up a chance to go places. However the plane trip was awful. Since we bought last minute tickets, the  we couldn’t get seats together so I ended up sitting in the window seat, two grown men next to me. No offense, but they smelled. Time passed sluggishly, playing on my iPhone and reading, wishing I had someone to talk to. But when the plane landed and we got out onto the street and nearly tripped and died it was all worth it because we were finally in New York.
We stayed at the Manhattan Square Hotel and the food we ate was delicious. I mean, who doesn’t like Starbucks?! Of course, we also went shopping, although Samuel agreed reluctantly. We almost had to drag him the entire way to Forever 21. Samuel and I both loved the color blue, so when he found this amazing modern vest I got it too. So what if it's a man’s vest? It's pretty. After shopping, we went to the Broadway production of Matilda and it was amazing. This was a good-luck-you-will-do-great-at-Carnegie activity for Alice.
The Carnegie performance went perfectly; Alice ended her song to thunderous applause. We all went to the Carnegie Deli to celebrate. Supposedly, they have the greatest cheesecake. When we got the cheesecake we just stared at it for a few seconds. It was humongous! How we were expected to eat this whole thing, I didn’t know. Samuel didn’t seem bothered, though. He just dug in. When I finished the cake I felt a little queasy. Alice and Isabelle did not even get close to finishing their cake and looked at me in incredulity. When we got to the hotel, I had to walk the length of the hallway about a hundred times before I finally felt like I wasn’t a geyser about to explode. I made a vow to never eat cheesecake again.
It was the end of the trip and next year I wouldn’t be seeing as much of Samuel as I do now. His parents had enrolled him in a boarding school for a year. So this was the last time we would see each other for a while.
“Hey, Liz?” He said uncomfortably, looking at the ground.
“Yes?” I said quizzically.
“I guess this is goodbye. See you in a year.”
“Why are you being weird, Samuel?”
“Well...you could say… maybe...I like you?” He looked sheepish. His plane was about to board and my jaw dropped to the floor. I was not expecting that.
“Well,” I squeaked. “Bye!”  He smiled at me, tripped over his feet, and left.