Cover Story | Teen Ink

Cover Story

March 18, 2015
By Lindsey123 SILVER, Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Lindsey123 SILVER, Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Cover Story
“Now is the time to work, people! Now is the time to think independently and creatively! The Bloomfield Breeze is set to hit students and staff in a mere three weeks!”
Hannah McCoy jotted bullet points as her teacher, Mr. Nolan, took his seat. As senior editor and head writer of her esteemed high school newspaper, Hannah had a lot of pressure on her shoulders to deliver a compelling, thought-provoking news story. She wanted to end her senior year with a bang, and what better way than to publish one last killer story for the cover of the Bloomfield Breeze? Being on the newspaper staff for four years had taught her a lot, mainly to ask tough questions and strive for accuracy.
In ninth grade, Hannah was awarded a cover story after impressing the senior editor at the time, a high strung, dramatic kid named Owen. She stressed over the story for weeks, trying to find a suitable topic for the eyes of her classmates. After holding a few interviews with students, (mainly her friends), Hannah published a lengthy article about the value placed upon arts vs. athletics at Bloomfield High-kind of boring, but still a nice read.
In her sophomore year, Hannah had to fight for that cover story. After a merger with their rival, Rockwood High, school became a place full of strangers resistant to change and unwilling to share classrooms, lunch, varsity spots, and, for Hannah, the newspaper staff. Rather than her expected promotion to news editor, Hannah remained a reporter and struggled to find topics that dealt with anything other than the chaotic new school and the growing frustration of administration. After having classes with new faces, Hannah gradually befriended Josefina, a sweet and eager foreign exchange student from Spain. Her article about various students from different countries impressed Mr. Nolan, and it made the cover of the December edition. 
When junior year rolled around, things took a somber turn. A senior had been killed in a car accident over the summer, and Hannah took it upon herself to write a suitable tribute to this boy. Even though she never knew him, the friends and family Hannah interviewed provided a glimpse of his admirable character and promising future. Mr. Nolan was moved by the touching and heartfelt story, and slated it for publication in the first edition of the Bloomfield Breeze.
Now, in her senior year, Hannah was feeling the pressure. This was her newspaper, after all. After working her way up the editorial ladder for three years, she was now the top dog. She edited every section and had the final say in which stories made the cut. Mr. Nolan didn’t even read most selections anymore, trusting Hannah with the final product. He was her biggest supporter, pushing her to deliver unbiased, accurate accounts of the news while also managing to create a dialogue. He never hesitated to remind Hannah of her talent and the bright and busy future ahead of her. 
The classroom door opened, jolting Hannah out of her thoughts. A hall monitor handed a pass to Mr. Nolan, who glanced at it, frowning. He motioned for Hannah to come to his desk.
“This is for you, to the vice principal. It says ‘urgent’.
Hannah took the pass, reading it carefully.
“Alright, then. I’ll see you later, Mr. Nolan.”
Hannah gathered her things and headed out the door. Mr. Nolan called after her.
“What did you do, rob a bank?”
“Not today!”
Hannah walked down the hall, not really concerned. Whatever Mr. Martin wanted, it was probably nothing. Outside, the sun was shining, and it was a beautiful day.
Entering Mr. Martin’s office, Hannah could tell that something was off. Mr. Martin looked…grim, she decided. Definitely grim.
“Please, take a seat, Hannah.”
Hannah sat down. “What’s up?”
“I wanted to address an issue that has been brought up by many of your teachers.”
Hannah blinked. This was unexpected. She didn’t have issues with teachers.
“What do you mean?”
“Well, several of them have noticed that your presentation has not been entirely…appropriate.”
“My presentation?”
“Your dress, your clothing…you know what I’m talking about.”
“No, I don’t know what you’re talking about. What’s wrong with my clothes?”
“Well, for one, they don’t adhere to the dress code.”
Hannah looked down at her blue jeans and black top—a typical outfit for her on any given day.
“What about this outfit violates the dress code?”
“Your jeans are tight, your shirt is low cut, and it’s just not appropriate for the environment at this school. You’re distracting to others who are trying to learn.”
“But-
“I don’t think you understand, Hannah. Your outfit is not appropriate. You’re going to have to change.”
Hannah felt her face getting red. She was embarrassed, but also angry. Who had complained? Why was this happening? It wasn’t fair!
Hannah took a deep breath and directed her steely gaze towards Mr. Martin.
“Now, let me tell you one thing. I am a senior. I have been around the block a few times-four times, to be exact. I know the dress code. I know what’s acceptable. And Mr. Martin, it’s not right. It’s not. You and the administration expect girls to cover themselves, as if they should be ashamed! You expect us to be modest, so as not to distract others. By enforcing these rules, you are condoning objectifying and sexualizing of women! Why not teach your students to be confident in themselves instead of insecure? Next time you get a complaint, talk to the person who filed it. They’re the ones who don’t understand.”
Hannah got up and quickly left the office. There’s nothing like a bold exit. She never even looked back at Mr. Martin. He was probably shocked. Whatever. The truth is, Hannah was happy. She felt liberated. And most importantly, she had her cover story.