A Genius's Rival | Teen Ink

A Genius's Rival

By Ahong135 SILVER, San Gabriel, California
Ahong135 SILVER, San Gabriel, California

“I got first place once again! Why, I have always been first, anyways. In fact, I consider myself to be infallible.”

As the sullen students received their class ranking, an uncomfortable silence arose after Joseph’s statement. Quiet whispers spread around the classroom like a wildfire.

Their teacher, Mr. James, was very austere, setting strict rules and giving out daily tests. Joseph happened to be the only person who received high scores on every one of his assignments. This allowed Joseph to brag about his superior standing among his peers, which prevented him from being acquaintances with many. He was a natural genius, an elite athlete, and a well-known, haughty boy at his school. He was avoided at all costs by others due to his acrimonious comments regarding the low intelligence of his class. Altercations frequently surfaced when someone doubted Joseph’s knowledge, which would often leave victims humiliated. Feelings of futility and intimidation were a common result of interactions with the near perfect scholar.
       The triangular speakers above broke the remaining side conversations of the room. The daily dictum addressing the upcoming events at Crescent High School blasted the amplifiers, drowning the campus with the voice of the school’s principal. He was known as Mr. Johnson, a highly venerable man, encompassing strong morals and giving the best advice to those in need. When the lengthy speech came to an abrupt end, the classroom returned to its former state of quietness.
       “Now, students, let us begin with a lesson on appositives. We will later discuss the different types of irony, and take a pop quiz on last week’s lesson at the end of the period. Open your book to page 566.” Mr. James dismissed the tense atmosphere of disdain for Joseph’s growing arrogance.
        Joseph’s formidable voice echoed across the space, causing a few people to cower in fear. He carried on, as he has done almost everyday. “Objection! How about you do not teach us, and we just take the quiz? I know this simple grammar already. And who does not know what irony is? What a boring English course this is.”
        Feet shuffled against the floor, and the sound of a clock’s ticking could only be heard. Acquiescence always followed Joseph’s words, the students being those who would rather not be involved in any complications. Mr. James also tended to favor the genius, granting him an occasional prerogative that gave him permission to eat food during lectures.
       “What I disapprove of is your statement, Joseph. Aren’t you so high and mighty today? Wait a second… that has been you since the day you were born! I am absolutely disgusted by the way you conduct yourself. Your unfathomable pride has no boundaries.” An all too familiar voice to Joseph emerged from the door, his claims obliquely expressing his contempt towards the surprised scholar.
       While listening to the mysterious visitor’s declaration, the students were eventually mollified of their worry about missing yet another lesson. But who was this individual? And who was he to speak up to the great Joseph?