My Not So Perfect Family | Teen Ink

My Not So Perfect Family

By jacinguyen BRONZE, Modesto, California
jacinguyen BRONZE, Modesto, California

My parents were in a fight. A big one. I remember exactly a year ago. It was April 27th. A couple of weeks before that I remember how it was a Tuesday morning, at 7:00.
It was almost the end of 8th grade year. I was so excited to finally graduate my stupid and boring junior high, I was so excited for high school. I woke up thinking it was just any boring day that I wanted to get over with. I always had a problem getting out of bed. I use to think of my bed as a place where I could forget about all my problems. I've never realized until that Tuesday morning that I barely had problems, and when I did they were very little.

Once I finally push myself off my bed with my weak, tired arms, I hear my mom and dad fighting. I think it is weird because first of all, they barely fight, and second, when they did it was never in the morning. Being the nosy person that I am, I have to hear what they were talking about, but in my defense I have to get ready or I will be late for school. I did my regular morning routine, the same routine I've done since I was little. I never changed it because honestly I don't like change.
I go to the bathroom to go brush my teeth and wash my face. I can hear my mom say," What is her name Johnny!" Whose name? A woman? Interrupting my thought, my dad says ," I have to work in the city today, you are welcome to come with me if you want some answers." I don't hear a response, but I assume that my mom nodded yes. There wasn't anything else she needed to do. She was a 34-year old stay home mom who goes to college. When she was younger she had to drop out of school because she got pregnant with my older sister, Lola. My mom always nags me about how to not make the same mistake as her and do not get pregnant before you are finished with school. She was always careful with the words she used because she didn't want to hurt my older sister’s feelings but I knew what she meant.
Different thoughts are going through my mind when I am preparing my breakfast and lunch. Everything feels normal but I know everything was not normal and was not going to be.  As usual, my mom and I met in her car after we are both all ready to go, which was usually around 7:45. The car ride was awkward and silent. Car rides with my mom are never silent but today it is. We usually listen to music and talk and occasionally we would sing and dance to see if people in other cars would look and laugh at us. She knows I have a idea of what's going on.
The dead silence broke around half way to school. My mom says," You probably heard what your dad and I were talking about." She always uses the term "your dad" to talk about dad when they are fighting. I never knew why but I always went along with it. She continues to say," Vaga I'm sorry but things are about to change. Your dad is not having the same feelings for me as he did before. I think your dad may be talking to another woman." I don’t know how to respond. Was my dad not happy? I could sense my eyes beginning to water and the tingling feeling in my stomach I have when I feel like throwing up. I know my mom is trying to stay strong. I'd always admired that about her. She didn't let things bother her or at least did not show it. I feel sick and I don't want to go school but I know I have to.
Going to school for the next two weeks were hard. It has been two weeks since I found out and I still don't know what is going on with my parents. My sister and I never talk about to each other which was unusually because we are very close and are not afraid to talk about things like this. I keep trying to tell myself that there are other people who were going through worse things than me and I should still grateful.
After fourteen days of talking and arguing, my parents finally decide to tell my sister and me what is going on. My palms are clammy and my feet are wet. What were they going to tell us? I feel a little awkward having all four of us together on our couch. I am having a sad feeling that it is going to be one of our last "family talks". My dad is the first to talk, as always.
"Your mom and I have been going through some problems. I am sure that you guys have heard us arguing for the past two weeks. We are deciding to get a divorce." at that moment my life has changed. I don't know how I am feeling. Am I mad? Sad? I can’t think and I need to be alone in my room where I wish I could wake up from this nightmare. Sadly this isn't a nightmare. This is real life. I ran to my room and on the way I furiously grab a picture of my parents. They were together. They were happy.