The State Championship | Teen Ink

The State Championship

March 5, 2015
By Saragrace3 BRONZE, Weiser, Idaho
Saragrace3 BRONZE, Weiser, Idaho
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

    "Ooh. I feel so good like, I knew I would. Ooh I feel so good... Ooh! I Feel So Good Like, I Knew I Would! Ooh I Feel So Good! BLAST THEM VOCAL CHORDS!!! OOH! I FEEL SO GOOD LIKE, I KNEW I WOULD. OOH I FEEL SO GOOD!!!” We finish our cheer, yell, "Wolverines!" Clap twice. Then we're off running.
    Today, right now, is the state championship for volleyball, district 5a. We have dominated over all the other teams, but now we play the Eagles. They too, had dominated their side of the bracket. We are perfectly matched. It will just depend on who plays better ball and wins the rallies.
   After a 15 minute warm up, the captains are called up. I shake my opponents hands, and introduce myself. My teammate, Kenna, follows suit. The ref goes through the rules, and flips the coin. I yell out “tails.” True to the saying, "Tails never Fails," we start out with the serve. I breathe out a sigh of relief and nervousness. I will be serving first.
   Kenna and I jog back to our teammates. We then head over to Coach Ash, and her assistant coach, Coach L., who also happens to be my dad. She gives us a pep talk, and then it’s time to play ball.
   We get into formation, and I go to serve. I go through my technique in my head, concentrating. I will not miss this serve. The ref blows his whistle to signal the start of the game. I take a deep breath, aim, and serve. My closed hand smashes into the ball at the peak of the toss, and does a perfect floater. My serve is flawless. It clears the net with two inches to spare. It looks like it’s going deep, but suddenly drops. My serve is good, but so are the Ealges. Their labaro, a petite brunette, flies out of nowhere and does a perfect dig. It arches high and to the setter. She sets it outside, where a 6 foot something girl is waiting. My team is already covering. Kenna and our setter, Brooke, are front row, blocking. The Eagle girl jumps high in the air; her arm reaching back. I read her instantly.
  “Line! Line!” I yell. Kenna and Brooke launch into the air, taking away line. The ball slams into Kenna’s hands and pummels back onto their side. We give a whoop of joy and do our little cheer. We’ve won the first point.
   On my second serve, I turn it up a notch. Instead of just a regular serve on my feet, I do a jump floater. This one sails to the outside hitter. She passes, and the setter sets it to the middle. She spikes it down the ten foot line. It looks like a kill, but, faster than a blink of an eye, Stella appears. Stella’s our labaro, the best in state. She is beast.
   She flies into a pancake and digs the ball up. Then she does a pro volleyball roll and is back in a crouch. Brooke sets it to Kenna, who’s yelling like a mad woman, “One! One!” She launches into the air, and just kills it. It goes around the blocker, and straight into an Eagle’s face.
   We jump up and do our cheer for a six pack. Kenna has a smug grin plastered on her face.
    On my third serve, I turn it up even more. I do my jump topspin serve. This is the most difficult serve to learn. It takes hours and hours of practice to get it down. It’s all about the toss. You have to get it just right.
    It’s fast and hard. The labaro almost misses it. But she’s good, and manages to pop it up. Mia, the outside hitter opposite of me, tries to block the hit, but the ball ricochets out of bounds. Their first point.
    It goes on like this. We get a few points, then they get some. There are some crazy rallies. They go on forever. It's close, but we end up winning most of them. We win the first and third sets, and they win the second and fourth sets. They are super close, all within only 5 points. It now all comes down to the fifth set. Whoever wins this set wins both the match and the state championship. This set is only to 15 points instead of 25. We are going to have to pick up our game if we want this title.
   They call up the captains again. This time, the Eagles get to call. They yell heads, but it was tails. Ok, this is off to a good start, I think.
   I serve five times in a row. Three of them jump topspin serves. I miss my sixth one. It is out by a hair. I clench my jaw, but shake it off. We go through the rotation until I’m in my best position, outside hitter. It’s game point for us. Mia’s serving. She has a wicked serve. They dig it up, and hit middle. Shelby, the other middle hitter, tries to block it, but is unsuccessful. The Grizzly hits it around her hands, straight towards our labaro. Stella does an amazing dig, and Brooke sets me outside. I wait until I see the ball to start my approach. I take a small step, then a bigger one. I take my last two biggest steps, throw my arms back, and launch into the air. I raise my left arm up, and pull back my right one. The ball is now at the peak of its set. I rotate and let her rip. My hand smashes into the ball, and slams right on the line. It’s a kill.
    The crowd erupts. My team is screaming and jumping up and down. I have only begun to register what I had just done when I get tackled. We have beaten the Eagles, and we are the 2017 District 5a State Champions.