F O U R | Teen Ink

F O U R

By roeiguess SILVER, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
roeiguess SILVER, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

hell is empty; all the devils are down here.

DAY 1

I don't know what I was supposed to think of my school. In the movies I always watched, they were dancing and singing, but of course we had to do learning as well. I am 7 and this is my second year in school. My name is Ronnie. Most kids my age think school is boring. I do too. When I told my mom that, she got mad and said that most kids these days are so unappreciative of learning new things, but I don't think that's why I don't like it. I think it is because I already know what 32 minus 26 is. I can tell it equals to 6 without counting on my fingers or using square blocks.

This is a new school and I really don't know what it is like there, in my old school I didn't have any friends. A few people talked to me but I didn't like them. It is 7:12 a.m. right now, my bus was supposed to come at 7:10 but I guess there was traffic or something.

A boy that was much bigger than me? maybe a fifth grader? sat down next to me on the bench. I stayed quiet. Finally, he spoke, "hey kid, how old are you?"
My answer came short and firm, "seven."
He stared at me for a second before speaking again, "you're in second grade?" I nodded. He continued talking, "keep your heads up in math class." That was all he said before he stood up and walked away. I only shook my head and walked to the bus which had just arrived.
I sat in the second to first row in the bus, nobody sat next to me, that was okay. I really couldn't focus my thinking, it was all shattered, because the bus driver had some weird music playing. I guess that was okay too. I almost fell asleep despite the loud music playing, I was a very deep sleeper. Like a rock, my mom said.
My big brother was only 2 years older, and he was in fourth grade, but he had so many friends that they their parents always take him with them. That was okay too. My little sister gets in first grade next year and my mom said I'd have to take care of her, I didn't mind. My dad is never home because he is always so busy. He only comes to sleep, and eat.
The bus and music suddenly stopped and I had guessed that we reached school, it wasn't as small as my old school, but it wasn't huge either. It was fairly big. It was built with red bricks and had a wooden rooftop. Labeled on top of the red brick was "Oak vale Elementary School", it looked pretty average.
I walked into the school and there was a lady at the office in the front. She had short brown hair, like a boy. She had green eyes and big dimples. She told me her name was Dr. Thomas and that she was the principal, I nodded at her and then she asked for my name. I told her my name was Ronnie. She told me I was a good little boy, and smiled. I smiled back. She started flipping through papers on her clipboard and then told me to go stand to the right. I did that.

There were already two other kids? a girl and a boy. Eventually, more kids came, a mixture between girls and boys. Then we became 24 students and a big man that was wearing a button up shirt and work pants. He had a head full of black hair and big bushy dark eyebrows. His lips were very thin and straight and his eyes were a very pale grey. He didn't look too nice.

He yelled at us and told us to be quiet, that was his way of greeting us. We stayed quiet despite the little whispers scattered between us and we walked after him to what seemed our class room. It was very nicely decorated. I can tell he wasn't the one who decorated it.
He sat on his desk and told us to take a seat. I sat in the third row. I was very tall so I always sat in the back.

Once we all sat down he started talking about math. I ignored it because I really wasn't going to learn anything new. I never did.

Then he started saying "2 plus 2 is equal to 5."  I think he was being sarcastic, because everyone was agreeing so I stayed quiet.

Then the teacher, Mr. Newman, started calling on random kids and asked them what 2 + 2 is and most of the kids were answering with 5. I guess no one got the right answer because Mr. Newman kept asking more students. When he finally came to my turn, I said 4. So the whole class gasped. I didn't know what I did wrong. Mr. Newman's neck was almost bursting a vein.

He looked me dead in the eye and said, "2 plus 2 is equal to 5."

I shook my head, "no, 2 plus 2 is equal to 4 ."

He got closer to my chair and said. "No." He said calmly but inside he was exploding. I swear if I touched his vein, it would pop. That was gross. "It equals to 5."

"But that's not true because if you have?"

"No!" He yells, I jump back a little. "I don't care what you think! Because I am the teacher and whatever I say is correct!"

"But-" I start to say again, my voice shaking a little bit. My voice was shaking but not enough to tell that I was scared.

"No but's." He says and I stay quiet for the rest of the class, my mom would be mad at me if I got in trouble on the first day. I am not mad at me. I am not proud of me. I think it was nice to be able to talk back to the teacher but also I looked like a dummy. He was right, whatever he says is considered correct.

DAY 2

Today was my second day on second grade, I wanted to tell my parents about my teacher but I stayed quiet. Everyday we have Math as first, then other easy classes that I didn't have troubles with. It was okay. Today in math, we all took our seats and nobody talked, not even little whispers. I think we all realized how mean he was.

He didn't start grumbling about math today, he came to my desk and said, "what does 2 plus 2 equal to?"

I coughed nervously, "4."

Mr. Newman stared at me, I stared back at him, then he spoke, his voice chilly in all the right places, "get out of my class, kid."

So I did.

DAY 3

Since I go kicked out of class yesterday, I had to explain it to my parents. This is how it went;

"Why'd you get kicked out of class? You aren't like that, Ronnie." My mom said.

"The teacher was really mean, mom."

"Nonsense."

"But he was saying that 2 plus 2 equals?"

"Ronnie, whatever the teacher says is correct." That was my dad.

"But?"

"No, go to your room. No dessert for you today."

It was pretty unfair on my part, they had icecream and brownies for dessert that day.

DAY 4

So, right now I am in the bus, I asked the bus driver to lower down the music, she just laughed and said she'll try. I didn't understand what she meant by 'try', because she can easily do it. She is the bus driver, after all.

The bus eventually came to a stop and so did the music? which I bet you, she didn't even try to lower. We have math first class, like everyday. My other classes were very boring, but the teachers liked me, unlike Mr. Newman.

Everybody took a seat, and whispered silently. Like yesterday, Mr. Newsman came up to my desk, "what is 2 plus 2?"

I stayed silent, thinking maybe I should say five and not four. "Fi-" I started to say but then I corrected myself. "Uh, 4."

He smiles, but it was not a nice smile like Granny would give me when I came to visit, it was a mean smile like how the kidnapper smiled when he found a perfectly clueless kid. "You think you're funny?" I shook my head, he spoke again but not me, his eyes were on me but he was not talking to me. "Class! What is 2 plus 2?"

The class choruses in monotone, "five." But not all voices matched, a girl with a squeaky voice and two missing teeth said four. Mr.Newman turned to face her, "what did you just say?"

"I asked my mom and she said it equals to 4." She said, the 's' in her words sounding like a 'th' because of her teeth. The class stayed silent, so did the teacher. Suddenly another kid spoke, "yeah! My dad said that too!" All of the students started saying 'yeah' and 'my mom too'. Mr. Newman stayed quiet, looking attacked.

The class is chaos and everybody is talking and yelling and standing, so once I am out of everybody's attention, I walk to up to the girl who started all of this, "thanks."

She looked at me and smiled, "no problem, Ronnie."

As I walked away, I heard her say something to the kid next to me that made me smile;

"It's just something about his eyes that makes him realize lies."