A Kid With A Dream | Teen Ink

A Kid With A Dream

By SWhitaker00 BRONZE, Kings Mountain, North Carolina
SWhitaker00 BRONZE, Kings Mountain, North Carolina

The Key to Success is to never tell everything you know.

There was a kid, this certain kid has a strong passion for photography and filmmaking, his name was Carl. Ever since Carl got his hands on his first camera he instantly felt a thrill and a strong passion for photography. But Carl wasn’t the richest out of the bunch and couldn't really get all he needed to make his dream a reality. Carl had family in New York that found out about his love for taking photos and recording films through social media by Carl’s mom. Carl’s mom had supported his dream since the beginning encouraging him to carry on with what he does and to not stop until he reaches his goals.
Carl had started a Youtube channel earlier this year and made short films and showreels of his work. Many people found Carl’s work very good and entertaining and his channel started to rapidly grow over the couple of months he had it. In no time Carl had reached well over 2,000 Subscribers, it may not seem like much, but to him it was amazing and he felt so great and encouraged to continue what he is doing. Later on after a couple of weeks of hard work and many uploads to his channel Carl got a call from a small company in New York, this company was called Flarex Media. The company is a small filmmaking and photography based business that was known for leading directors, filmmakers, and photographers to work for larger industries. So Carl’s mom got back into contact with his family in New York and they had agreed to start a donation website that allowed fans to donate money towards his plane ticket to the big apple to see if he could finally make his dream of what he has been hoping for all along into a reality.
A couple of weeks had went by of advertising and making videos, and  telling his fans and everyone he could about his donation website and how they could help with his plans. Carl had raised almost $4,500 within a matter of no time and was finally able to buy a ticket. Carl’s mom had arranged with his family that he will be able to stay with them for a while in the city while he works with the company on trying to get to the place he wants to be. A couple of weeks pass and Carl is finally getting settled in and has started working with the media company with photoshoots and also filming short films which have been published on many film websites and all over the internet. But one of the short films that he made got a lot of attention, within a month of the release it had over 2,000,000 hits and was being rated by many critics as one of the most thrilling and exciting short films of the year. The film was entitled “The Most Thrilling Summer” which was about a group of friends that traveled the United States going to different landmarks and on many adventures in the middle of nowhere. This got him a lot of publicity and many larger companies started calling him, and sending him emails wanting him to schedule meetings, and to talk business, but one day while he was getting ready to start filming he received a call from Jamie, the executive producer at Paramount Studios. Jamie seen the short film, and absolutely loved it, he wanted to meet with Carl immediately the next week in Manhattan to discuss business.
Carl took the subway to Manhattan and met with Jamie at one of his local studios. Jamie loved Carl’s work and what he could do overall in filming and wanted to see what Carl could do working with more bigger films. So Jamie had offered Carl a filming position in the upcoming film The Moon and The Sun which is expected to be released in April of 2015. Carl immediately accepted, feeling shocked and extremely excited. Everything Carl had ever dreamed about was about to come true, and it was all because of a small Youtube channel he made for fun. After weeks of filming, constantly being on set, the film that Jamie had assigned him to was complete. Jamie was impressed about how good Carl did with the film work and how well his camera angles were set in the filming, so Jamie pulled Carl aside after the video and offered Carl a job as a Film Recorder for Paramount Studios working on the set of the movies of his choice or any movie that they needed him on.
Right after Carl instantly called his mom telling her the news and told her that his dream is no longer a dream and that soon he will be able to fly her out and have a home in New York. When Carl arrived back to his families home they threw a surprise party for him that caught him off guard. Everyone was so proud of him and was giving him hugs and gifts and even Jamie was there. Jamie told Carl that he had contacted his family and told them the news and also was the one who decided to throw him the party. Carl was so happy and thanked everyone for coming and thanked Jamie for offering him the job.
After a couple of months went by Carl had finally saved up enough to by a small house in Long Island and to buy a ticket for his mom to fly in. He had also saved up enough to buy transporters to transport his mothers things to the house if she decided she wanted to move in with him and to live in New York. The next Saturday arrived and thats when Carl arrived at the John F. Kennedy International to pick his mom up that was arriving in about 5 minutes. Carl was waiting there patiently when gate F3 opened and his passengers emerged from the small hallway leading into the terminal. A few others went by, greet and meeting their family and friends, but finally after about a minute or so Carl seen his mother come out and he instantly ran to her and gave her a big hug that he had missed for so long. He helped his mother get her things to his car and they drove a 30 minute drive back to his house. She asked him so many questions on the way there and was breath taken by all the scenery that the big city had to offer. After they arrived and were settled in later on that night Carl got a call from Jamie asking if he was available tomorrow for the filming of Star Trek 3, Carl talked it over with his mother and his mother told him that she will be fine so he told Jamie that he will be there tomorrow at 10:00am to start shooting on set.
Carl set out early that morning to try to arrive earlier than what was expected so he could set up and be ready by the time the filming will start. After a couple of hours of filming Carl was on break and he received a call from one of the high up members of the DGA letting him know that he has been nominated for Best starting director of the year and that he will need to attend the awards that will be held later this year in Los Angeles, California. Carl was stoked that all of he ever dreamed about is coming true in a matter of months, he feels so astonished that all of this could happen by starting out with just a computer, a camera, and a dream.

I was inspired to write this story because ever since I was a kid I had a love for taking pictures, and just recording videos, and making small films with my friends. 

I hope that what people get out of this is that you need to pursue your dreams until they are reached, and to never give up no matter how stressing it is or what might stand in the way.