The Selfish King | Teen Ink

The Selfish King

By Harman13 BRONZE, SeaTac, Washington
Harman13 BRONZE, SeaTac, Washington

The King is lying in a royal bed made from gold and the mattress made from the finest silk and cotton in the kingdom. The room is filled with servants, officials, and his only son, Prince Ban. The King is old with fairly white skin, his hair was also white with some gray in it, and he is wearing a golden robe as he lay on his bed waiting for his death. On the right side of the bed, Prince Ban was sitting on a chair holding the King’s hand. On the left, side his most royal servants and the officials stood telling the King “You will be all right my king, its nothing more than a cold, you will feel better in no time.” But the King said in return to everyone in the room “My time has come, but I only have one regret that my son Ban is not worthy of leading the kingdom and its people for he is too naïve.” Before the prince could respond to the King, the King passed away leaving his only naïve son, Prince Ban as the heir to the throne.
It has been a week since the King has passed away and today is the day for Prince Ban to officially take the throne and become the new ruler of the kingdom. The kingdom is made up of several different towns under the dominion of the King. There is lot of talk in each town about the new King and whether he is ready or not to take the throne, since the prince is known for his hunger of power and money. Now that prince has become the new King and he now has all the power he could possibly dream for, along with the wealth of the kingdom, he now has no restrictions that limit his power. This has left the officials and the council of the kingdom worried about the future of the country.
In the front of the castle, a group has gathered and are protesting against the King and the castle guards are pushing and hitting them. Shortly after his instatement to the throne King Ban issued a law which raised the taxes of the whole kingdom twice as much, lead to panic. The officials were also mad with the decision of the king, but they could not do anything since half of the council was on his side. All of the money coming in is making the King mad with power and he is also restricting the usage of water in the towns who don’t pay him the taxes. As the King sat on his throne he said to his most loyal servant “I am going to make the history by taking over other kingdoms and then become the King of Kings.” The servant replied “My King to obtain this power you shall first grow your army, improve the weaponry, and for that you will need more money.” The King respond “Maybe we shall increase the taxes a bit.”
His thirst for power and money made him a killer as he started to kill the people of the kingdom who disobey or don’t pay him. The people lived in fear and the King ruled them with fear. There are some rebellions which have taken place in the towns which are organizing to over-throw the king. But the King is using the country’s military to commit assassinations against those rebelling in order to wipeout the rebel groups. The King also issued rewards for those who provided the military with information about the rebel groups.
The kingdom was left with nothing, due to the greed of the King. The kingdom is out of resources of food since farmers don’t have the money to buy resources to grow food or animals to use for labor. The water is contaminated from the sick of people in the kingdom and more than half of the people in the kingdom are sick and ill. And the number of deaths is also increasing as every day passes. Even the King somehow catches the incurable illness and it gets bad as days pass. In his final days, he remember his youth always by his father’s side. He remember that his father once told him that the secret of becoming the true King and rule the people successfully is “The King must never think of himself but always of his people and must sacrifice himself in order to keep his kingdom safe.” After remembering his father’s words he gave the council his final order to telling them to give all food and medication to the people of the town and bring in more resources from the other kingdoms.
It takes two months for the kingdom to restore and recover from the sickness and poverty. The King allocated the treasure of the kingdom to help rebuild the towns and help people start rebuilding. The people, surprised from the King’s actions, forgave him for his mistakes despite the negative effect, such the loss of their love ones, the people began to respect the king.
The King makes a new council by gathering both young and old people who are willing to sacrifice for the kingdom. The King decides that he has yet to gain the trust and restore his kingdom back to the way it was in his father’s rule. He now started to go into the towns and help the people in-person in order to learn about the problems and help fix them.