Always Thinking of Her | Teen Ink

Always Thinking of Her

February 9, 2015
By Eloisa Perez BRONZE, Arlington, Texas
Eloisa Perez BRONZE, Arlington, Texas
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

“John I need the blueprints of the new building on my desk tomorrow morning, I have given you plenty of time to get them done,” the boss said sounding irritated.
“No worries Mr. Travis… They will be on your desk at 6:00am SHARP,” I said trying to sound convincing.
As he made eye contact with me he said, “They better be.”
I still had a lot to plan for the blueprints and I had not put time into them. Only because I have custody of Iris, my 6 year old daughter, this summer. I have focused on her so much just trying to be the best dad I can be. The look the boss man gave me told me I needed to get back on track. 
As soon as I picked Iris up from school I rushed home, and made Iris a sandwich. While Iris ate, I went into my office and began to work on the blue prints. I knew if I just focused I would be able to finish the blueprints in a couple of hours.
“Daddy can you come to my tea party with me and Teddy. I finished eating,” she asked with excitement.
“Daddy?” she repeated.
“Dad?” she said.
“Just go play with your teddy bear and let me work in peace!” I yelled. I just wanted to poke my eyeballs out right then and there.
“Okay dad,” she replied and about this time the excitement in her voice had faded away.
By the time I finished my work, I realized how horrible I talked to my baby girl. I went out to the front to play with her and her teddy bear but when I opened the front door and step onto the lawn I didn’t see her.  All I saw was the arm to the teddy bear. 
I’ve searched for her, the police have searched for her, and nothing. How could I let this happen to my baby? How could I have not heard her screamed?  There isn’t a day that goes by, that I don’t think of her.