The Next Day | Teen Ink

The Next Day

February 9, 2015
By Michael Barnes BRONZE, Arlington, Texas
Michael Barnes BRONZE, Arlington, Texas
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

“Mr. President, the foreigners are closing in from all fronts! The order to surrender is at your call,” says a fairly tall, middle aged man. I could identify he was associated with the armed forces due the medals and decorations on his suit, but out of everything happening in that instance, that was just about all I could make reason of.
“What are you talking about dude?” I reply.
“Dude? Mr. President there is nothing humorous about the situation we are currently in.” “Need I remind you, we are being invaded by the overwhelming force of the UN?”
I blink my eyes dazedly, as if to see if I were still awake. For a moment, I actually thought this guy was pulling my leg, but as I looked outside of a nearby window, the view hit me like a solid brick. I, an eighth grader from Carlson Junior High, was standing behind the desk of the President of the United States, in the famed oval office. I was in the White House. Once reality starts to kick in, so does my memory of the order of things:

“I’m not supposed to be here!” “I’m supposed to be at home—“
“Come-on Mr. President, pull yourself together. First we’ll get you some medicine then head over to the press conference. The people need to hear some encouraging words from their leader.”
I frustratingly repeat myself, “You don’t understand, I’m not really the president, I don’t know what I’m doing here!”
“…….Hmmm, we’ll need something strong if you’re going to that press conference in an hour.”
Well, he’s not having any of it, but I can still try to make it out of this craziness. I make a break down the hallway. “Mr. President Sir, Please!” yells the military advisor. I’m almost at the entrance, when I run into a wall made of solid concrete. Getting up from the floor, I look up at my obstacle. An SS officer stands in front of me as there’s something outside he’s trying to protect me from. He signals me to look outside of the window, and all of a sudden there’s a crowd of hundreds right outside of the door. A gigantic swarm of people chanting, yelling, screaming at the house as if it were intending to harm them.
When I look back around, the SS officer is gone, and now the crowd is starting to break in. I stand there wondering what’s going on again! UN invasion, SS officers disappearing like phantoms (which I guess would be a bit less surprising), and giant crowds of hundreds of people appearing out of thin air.
The event is becoming very clear.