The Judging Game | Teen Ink

The Judging Game

By aeglow12 SILVER, Livingston, New Jersey
aeglow12 SILVER, Livingston, New Jersey

"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."

-Maya Angelou

The brother-sister relationship, to me, is very complex. Especially when it involves the game Monopoly. Picks his piece, organizes the cards, gives me a look I’m gonna win! I just have to learn to go with the flow. He never really understood that other people have feelings too. Thanks Dad! Matthew rolls the dice. 10. Go figure, always has to get the best score.
“It’s your turn… hurry up!” Matthew yelled. I already knew it was my turn.
“Chill, I know!” I exclaimed.
I got a house. He went to jail. You’re going to jail for dad? How ironic! Of course, I won’t say that to him. Matthew doesn’t even know who his father really is and I am not going to tell him now. We give each other dirty looks like two monkeys giving each other the death stare for a bannana. I check my phone to see if there is anything to distract me from this clown. Nothing. Damn! The rest of the game was in silence, but inside we were critiquing each other. Feeling dad staring at us while playing is not only weird but creepy. He likes to judge me when I get a 4 or 5 on the dice. My stepmom is just flipping through a glossy magazine. If this moment was photographed, the title would “The Judging Game.” This has been going on for about 45 minutes. Matthew has $60 more than me, sometimes I wonder if he is cheating cause I definitely would understand where that came from. I can’t let him win, or he will just bring it up for the next 96 hours. I think I can handle it, but i am tired of him showing off.
I can’t ever live up to the expectations that Matthew has. I was never good enough for my father. Now that I think about it, I might want a portrait of this moment after all.

My life really