Stranger’s Spirit | Teen Ink

Stranger’s Spirit

January 23, 2015
By chosenunicorn GOLD, Richmond, Virginia
chosenunicorn GOLD, Richmond, Virginia
11 articles 0 photos 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
“If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day so I never have to live without you.”
― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh
“Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them.”
― A.A. Milne


The fireplace crackles as two lovers settle before it. They’ve just finished moving into this new house, on Christmas Eve. The living room is empty except a couch and the fireplace. The house doesn’t have any Christmas decorations.
They lay together on their new couch, both fatigued and sad. They’ve spent all day unpacking boxes, putting furniture together, and organizing everything.
TIFFANY, exhausted and quiet: I’m glad we’ve finished moving everything, but it’s such a shame we couldn’t get a Christmas tree for tomorrow.
FRANKIE, upset: I know. With some enthusiasm. But we don’t need a Christmas tree and all that to have the Christmas spirit in our bones! Christmas is about giving and loving. Aside. I wish I could give her a real Christmas!  She’s right, we don’t have a tree, or presents for each other, or a even nice dinner planned for tomorrow! To Tiffany: We can be thankful for this house and all the love that we have for each other.
TIFFANY, mumbled, but slightly happier: You’re right, but let’s just go to bed.
Frankie cuts off the fire and the two girls go to bed, at around 11 AM. Frankie falls asleep quickly, but Tiffany stays awake, upset. She cries quietly to herself as a stranger appears in the living room, with a large red sack that jingles. The stranger sneaks around their new, quite empty house and starts pulling things out of the sack at random. A tree is set up in the corner next to the fire, and is decorated with lights and tinsel. Tiffany’s cries reach a crescendo as an angel, holding a star, is placed at the top. Frankie wakes and helps Tiffany fall asleep. Presents of all sizes and colors are placed underneath. There are so many that the stranger has to stack them knee high all around. Lastly, the stranger places two stockings, filled to the brim with chocolate, at the fireplace. The stranger leaves through a window.
In the morning, Frankie and Tiffany walk into their living room, grouchy, with their eyes closed with exhaustion. It takes them a moment to notice all that has happened.
TIFFANY, surprised: Did you do this, Frankie? How?
FRANKIE, just as surprised, if not more: How would I?
Both stand in silence for moments, pondering. Tiffany gently feels the fabric on the stockings while Frankie turns on the fire. They find their Christmas spirit arise inside of themselves.
FRANKIE, embodying the Christmas spirit fully: It’s a Christmas miracle!
TIFFANY, joining in on the joy: Let’s just embrace it! She starts admiring the gifts. Wait, what’s this? She holds up a tag that says “From the Spirit Stranger, Stellaluna.” Both girls are puzzled by this.
The girls find that most the presents are labeled for them, but a lot are unmarked. They open a few and find lots of toys.
TIFFANY: Well, looks like we have quite a few things that we don’t need. I have an idea.
Later that day, the girls find themselves at an orphanage with a car full of gifts. They give their presents to those who are less fortunate. The children thank them endlessly. They all are so full of the Christmas spirit that it flows out of them and seems to fill the entire city.
A black cat passes them, and the children run towards it. It is playful.
ORPHANGE OWNER: This cat has been coming by for so long. I’ve tried to figure out who owns it, but it seems it has no owner. Poor thing must be starving!
The cat looks up at Tiffany, its tiny, skinny body wraps around her leg. She picks it up.
TIFFANY: We could take her home! She pets the cat, gently, and it purrs loudly, quickly accepting the attention. Oh, please!
FRANKIE, with some hesitation: Oh, alright, but only if we name her Stellaluna!
Frankie and Tiffany hum Christmas songs on the way back to their house. When, they take the kitten home, the first thing she does, as they let her loose in the house, is to attempt to knock down the Christmas tree; however, Stellaluna fails and they all laugh.
The three live
happily
ever
after.