My own fight | Teen Ink

My own fight

January 31, 2015
By AbrarRahman BRONZE, Dhaka, Other
AbrarRahman BRONZE, Dhaka, Other
1 article 3 photos 0 comments

Till then, I had been a middle-aged man struggling with his mediocre job and crying himself to sleep every night in thoughts of his receding hairline. I had worked for the previous 10 years at the same company. Maybe I had been merely a janitor, but the job meant so much more to me. It was what I felt comfort in doing, and as queer as it does sound, it is true. That could have been partly accounted for by the fact that this job had never troubled me previously. At least that is how I thought it was until 2 years ago. Until the time Leng Pee, my junior co-worker, or better said, a thorn in my flesh, was promoted to a higher post than me. The complaints to my boss, like always, had fallen on deaf ears. However, being the selfless man I am, I let the matter go.
Soon after, it seemed to me as if the whole event had replayed itself. Not only one, not even twice. But four times. The only variable was who. What made matters worse was that none of these promoted coworkers were my seniors.
I could not take it anymore. The next day, I had decided that it was due tim I did something. It was time. Time for a change. I knew I had to do something to protect my dignity, and my self-esteem. I knew that I had to fight for myself. As I walked towards my boss' office, I knew I would set things straight. My heart was beating like a steam-hammer. Then, slamming open the large wooden door, I entered my Boss' room. My boss, roared with bloodshot eyes, "What nonsense?"
I merely replied, "This is what you had coming all along," and handed over my resignation letter. "Yes," I continued in a paced tone, almost as if I wanted to end it right then, "you just lost your best employee. Have fun with the juniors!"
"Wait. Stop. Please!" my boss cried out, but just like my countless complaints and requests, his shriek fell unheeded. As I headed out, I felt as if my soul had been replenished with a new lease of life. I had stood up for myself, and it was the most amazing of feelings. I looked above to the sky and saw pillows of clouds, which had been blotting out the cheery golden autumn sun, drifting away and the beautiful sun embracing all with its warmth and light. It felt just like how the gloomy clouds over my life had swept away just a while back, and my life had been impregnated by cheery rays of hope. I shrieked in joy, and strutted forward proudly, with only the thought of someday, in the future, I will refer to this event and tell my grandchildren, "Oh! What a great memory!"