Terror of the Skies | Teen Ink

Terror of the Skies

January 29, 2015
By ColeTrain BRONZE, Neosho, Missouri
ColeTrain BRONZE, Neosho, Missouri
1 article 1 photo 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"To perform, you need practice, to practice, you need passion." - Amit Kalantri


Dark clouds march closer, threatening to cast away peace and bring about havoc. Upon the quiet plains, a gentle wind begins to ruffle the tall prairie grass, which rolls softly like ocean waves. Birds stop their singing as the sky darkens to a menacing grey. Lightning flashes, ripping through the air like a knife. Thunder follows, sending animals scurrying, and gaining the attention of the small town, nestled snuggly in the grasslands. Farmers grimace, bringing their animals into the barn as rain begins to pour. Heavy and rapid drops plaster the ground, softening the dusty surface. The shower stops for a moment, revealing the heart of the storm. The black clouds begin to swirl, slowly at first, but then a visible funnel begins to hang from the sky, then drops to the ground. Suddenly, the townsfolk shout, and run about. Each family gathers only their most important treasures; then rush to save themselves, going down into the shadowed storm shelters. Cobwebs tickle their faces and spiders rush away from the light, their domain being torn from their control. Farm animals begin to move around, restless and spooked. The terror of the skies begins to tear apart nature. Trees are stripped down to nothing, dirt and debris swirls around in the air. The menacing phenomenon rips through the small town, taking out what little is there. As the roaring sound of a freight train dies down, each surviving family slowly comes out of their shelter to observe the damage. The town is flattened, everything leveled. The terror of the skies is gone, and all is calm.


The author's comments:

This is an essay that fictitiously details the plausible effects of a deadly tornado wreaking havoc on a city. There was a tornado in Joplin, Missouri, not far from my home, that killed over 160 people. That tragic incident inspired me to write this essay. I hope that people not only enjoy the writing, but also that they understand the dangers of such storms as well.