VIviana | Teen Ink

VIviana

By Shuyi Wu BRONZE, Stillwater, Minnesota
Shuyi Wu BRONZE, Stillwater, Minnesota

Gosh, I miss my home country so much! I wish I could go back there right now! I’m Viviana from China. I’m moved to here, because my parents want to start business in U.S. In China we drink wine a lot. We have a lot grapes in the yard. Today is a sunny day, I want to go shopping. When I was walking one the street, I saw people planting in small vacant lot. I just had an idea come to my mind, I wanted to plant grapes to make wine by myself. I know, it’s a crazy idea. When I lived in China, my grandfather had a vineyard, I saw him make wine every summer on his own. Oh, it reminded me of my grandparents so much, I miss them. I came to the United States a decade ago, when I was 18 years old, now I’m 28.

A few days later, when I finished my work, I went to the store to buy some grape seeds from the Farmers Market .Also, I got the materials to build scaffolds. I thought grapes would be very easy to grow. The truth is they are not, I need to worry about a lot of things, like temperature, severe weather, and light. Also, the scaffolds are hard to build, I got sick of building scaffolds. In the garden, there is a man who doesn't speak English, he saw me struggling with scaffolds, he come to me and try to say something, but I didn’t understand what he said. Then, he saw that i didn't understand what he said, he just come there and help me with building my scaffolds. He also taught me how to prevent my plants from severe weather. I don’t understand most of things that he said. Without him, I think I would have quit on my first day.

When I just come to the U.S. I don’t know much English, I couldn't understand what people talking about, It make me feel very lonely. I learn English by watch a lot English movie and TV shows. I think America is cold country when i just came here. The neighbour not really talk to each others, everyone seem only live in there own social area. After we have a community garden, I think I was wrong. In garden we help others out. We kind of like a big family, we care about each other so much. Community garden make me not feel lonely anymore. The state even presented us a prize .Before, we don’t have garden, the street is dirty and have a lot commit of crime. But after we have garden, the street look more clean, we have less crime. Also, the neighbors changed so much too, we more care each others now.