Ahmed | Teen Ink

Ahmed

By Mathers BRONZE, New York City, New York
Mathers BRONZE, New York City, New York

“You okay wit’ it?” Nasheem asked.

“No.” Amat said sternly.
“Stop being a little b**** and just do it with me." Nasheem retorted.
"F*** off." Amat declined, and pushed Nasheem to the side and walked up the concrete hill.

Amat was declining to do lines of coke with Nasheem, for the simple of fact when Amat did agree to it once, and at that time his left nostril has became blind.

“You have no type of fun with me anymore. That’s not good.” Nasheem said as he shook his head dropped the little bags, and the credit card into his pocket and ran up the concrete hill, catching up to Amat.

“We can have fun, absolutely, but not like this. I can’t deal with this.” Amat responded.
“What the hell can we do then? Tell me. I’m not reading books with you. I’m not studying with you. I’m not sitting down with you to talk to you about my mental issues. No. I want to snort some crack that I had to put down so much money for! I thought of you when I had to give E my $200. And now you’re just gonna say no?! F*** outta here!” Nasheem bickered as he went ahead of Amat and reached to the sidewalk.
Amat raised both his eyebrows, but refused to open his mouth. He was surprised not only that Nasheem responded in that way, but that he spent that much of his money on cocaine.
Amat caught up to Nasheem, but Nasheem glanced and grumbled.
“F*** it.” Amat said.
The two boys walked with each other, not saying a word, sharing glances and dirty looks, but no words at all until the reached the train station. Both Amat and Nasheem walked up the stairs, took out their school Metrocards, and both swiped their cards accordingly.
Both of them walked, a bit slower this time, slower, and slower, until they reached the stairs and Nasheem stopped.
Amat turned and blinked. “Why did you stop?”
“I don’t wanna go.” Nasheem mumbled.
“Where?”
“School.” Nasheem mumbled again.
“Its only a fe-”
“No.”
“Stop. Just stop it. You have nothing better t do. Let’s just go. Please. Before I grab you.” Amat retorted.
“Grab me? GRAB me? You’re gonna grab me? Grab me then.” Nasheem hissed.
Amat knew for a fact he could. Amat was 18, and Nasheem was 15. Amat had a bigger build, Amat had a better amount of strength. He could almost kill Nasheem if he decided to.
They stared at each other eye to eye for a while. More or less Amat stared at Nasheem as if he was a bug ready to be squashed.
Nasheem shook his head and sat on the top steps, letting his legs rest on the following bottom steps.
“I’m not going and that's final. I’m not gonna waste my time.” Nasheem said with his head turned.
“Mixe is gonna be there. When was the last time you saw him?” Amat asked.
Nasheem shook his head and said, “A few days ago maybe. He never really came home to Aba. And I’ve always wondered why.” Nasheem said.

Amat raised an eyebrow, looking at the back of Nasheem’s head.
“But I know hes at school right now, waiting for us maybe.” Amat said.
“And?” Nasheem asked.
“You don’t want to see him?” Amat asked back.
“Of course I do. But I do not want to be around people that want to criticize me for my love for these 28 grams.”
“Nasheem you should be thankful I decided to do a few sessions with you. You and E forced me to. Jerks. Both of you.”
“So? Wasn’t good?” Nasheem asked in a smile.
“Yeah, but not for the left side of my nose. I can’t smell with it anymore, you know this.” Amat responded.
  “Na’am.” Nasheem responded in Arabic, which means “yes.”
Nasheem finally turned his head and actually started to have a normal conversation with his brother.
“Okay so, thats the reason why I do not do it anymore. I’m killing myself slowly the more I do it. And that is exactly as to what you are doing, Nasheem.”
“But why target me? E does three times more apple jacks than I do.” Nasheem said.
“But that doesn’t dismiss the fact that you do it too.” Nasheem responded.
"I’m not getting into to this." Nasheem said.
“Oh? Why? Because you know I’m right.?” Amat said.
“No. I..” Nasheem said as he stopped and sucked his teeth as he shook his head.
“What? You know you have to stop.” Amat stated.
“I don’t have to do jack s***. It’s just that there isn’t really anything left for me to do with myself.” Nasheem said as he turned his his head with his back facing Amat.
“You know, Nasheem, I can only think of one thing that could’ve possibly pushed you down to that level of thinking.” Amat said.
“What?” Nasheem asked.
“E.”
“No, please, don’t point fingers at anyone. Because the only thing E does is give me drugs. Not make me do them.”
“So?” Amat asked. “She is the reason why Mixe is a run away.”
“That’s Mixe’s own fault. That was his choice of running away and never coming home afterschool. That has nothing to do with me, or E.” Nasheem stated.
Amat shifted position and huffed a breath of fresh hair slowly as he stared at Nasheem in a intimidating way.
Nasheem glanced a bit, then turned his head facing directly at Nasheem, staring.
Amat shook his head and looked down, shifted feet, and began to contemplate.

“This is so wrong.” Amat mumbled to himself.
“Hm?” Nasheem asked.
Amat shook his head and finally continued walking up the stairs. From the distance he can hear the train, but from the distance he can also hear loud snorting.
“Jesus.” Amat mumbled.
Nasheem coughed a bit and began to grunt.

“Feels like my face is being torn apart!” Nasheem shouted from a distance as Amat continued up the stairs.
“Amat!” Nasheem called sharply as dropped the credit card and spilled powder all over the floor and raced up the stairs. Amat began to speedwalk as he went further and further within the platform, and looked back and saw Nasheem reaching to the top of the steps.
“F***.” Amat mumbled.
Amat began jogging even more further down into the platform, and eventually reached the other side, with a white wall facing him. Nasheem was way too overdosed to even chase after Amat, so he remained on the middle of the platform, and went forward onto the yellow strip at the edge. Amat turned his head, squinted, and saw the back of Nasheem’s head, his long hair, and saw him walking on top of the yellow line that covered the edge of the platform, almost to the tracks.
“Haha! Amat look at this! I can walk on the stripe without hesitation!” Nasheem laughed in the distance. Amat began to stare at Nasheem, and shook his head.
“Wouldn’t be surprised if he fell within the dirty tracks,” Amat thought. Amat turned his body and began walking down the platform.
Its as if the more he walked the more likely it was for Nasheem to fall down on the tracks. Amat kept picturing a train just coming through and Nasheem just falling right in front of it, but just kept on walking toward Nasheem. The more Amat walked the more louder the train sounds became. And the more Nasheem fumbled on the yellow line, the louder he laughed.
“Nasheem.” Amat said firmly and a bit loudly. Nasheem turned his head and smiled, but continued to move within the stripe. Amat began to speedwalk, and, almost tripping, caught up to Nasheem and firmly grabbed his right shoulder firmly and turned Nasheem around. Nasheem giggled and showed a grin, as blood from his left nostril drips onto his upper lip.
“Oh f***.” Amat said as he made a face.
“Haha, you like it?” Nasheem said giggl\ng.