Ed's Bar | Teen Ink

Ed's Bar

January 9, 2009
By Anonymous

“I hate you!” I screamed at my mom as I turned off the TV and went upstairs. I could already tell my eyes were as wide as they could, almost look like they were about to pop out. My cheeks were as red as apples, and my mouth snarling.

“You will do chores for 3 weeks, you are about to turn 13 you need to be responsible!” said my mother following me up the stairs. I didn’t really care what she said. I got into the fight because that stupid jerk knew I was adopted.

“Whatever,” I said rolling my eyes. I ran into my room turned on the radio and listened to Akons “Mr. Lonely” It just made me angrier.

“Daniel you will do the chores and never talk to me like that again!” she said. Couldn’t she clearly see? I had brown hair, blue eyes, and skin the color of sugar. She had black hair, brown eyes, and a beige skin tone. It was obvious I was adopted, and I was sick and tired of her. Right there, at that very moment I realized how much I wanted my dad, my real dad. I had to leave.

I knew my mom had to work soon. It was 4:30 and she always left 4:45 sharp, no matter what. I heard the door slam and that sound made me feel so free. In 15 minutes I gathered all I needed to go search for my dad. I even went in to the emergency money jar. I didn’t really care. I wasn’t coming back. I went downstairs to find a letter before I left. That letter was the last one my dad sent to me. Of course my ex-mother tried to hide it just like she tries to hide my real father from me. But I always knew when she kept them just in case someday I might have wanted to find him, and that time was now. I finally found the letter all crumbled and shredded, but I got what I needed. My dads address.

I lived on a busy street, in downtown Chicago, so it wasn’t hard to find a taxi. I was on my way to find him. The ride felt like a billion years, but I was still happy to be gone I couldn’t wait. Taxi cab drivers usually never talk, but this man did.

“Where you heading to kid?” he said lifting his eyebrow.

“I’m going to see my dad...” I said looking down.

“Oh, well why wouldn’t you go with your mom?” At that point I thought, he’s asking too many questions. But I decided to answer anyway.

“I don’t want to talk about it sir,” I said with a frown.

“Your not running away are you?” His tone grew louder and his face seemed worried.

I didn’t answer, and the whole ride there was silent. I ended up on a street that looked so horrible, the side walks cracked, all the houses looked abandoned with windows broken doors falling off, the front yard dug up. I wasn’t used to it, my world was clean perfect looking downtown, but I’d adjust, anything to get away from that lady. Looking down at the paper and looking up at the number, my eyes didn’t deceive, I found his house. It seemed as if his house was the worst. The stairs were wooden and completely torn off, the place didn’t have one perfectly good window, and the house it self looked like it was hit by a tornado. Every step I took, those creaking steps just made my heart explode with excitement. I knocked on the door multiple times but nobody answered. I felt as if somebody grabbed my heart and burned it into a million little pieces. I thought I was free. Turning around going down the creaking steps a man came up to me.

“Well hello there. May I know who you are looking for?” he said looking at me straight in the eyes. This man didn’t look very trust worthy he just sent chills down my spine. But I was so desperate to find my father I would take any chance.

“Yeah, I’m trying to find my dad. His name is Travis Baker and I need to find him urgently.” I tried making myself look as desperate as possible just so he give me answers or hurt me... You never know?

“Ahhhhh, Travis Baker. Very well known around here you’ll find em’ at Ed’s Bar just right down this street” He gave me a smile but his face looked more worried then happy for me.

“Thanks” And I was on my way to find my dad.

“No problem kid. But just as a warning… he’s not that exciting.” Giving me an empty worried look.

I just kept walking I don’t even know what that man was talking about. I found Ed’s bar but on the way that man really made me think what did he mean by he’s not that exciting. Whatever I thought. Right when I got in I went straight to the bartenders.

“Is Travis Baker here?” I asked, he gave me a are you doing here kid, kind of look, and pointed at a table.

I turned around to a man who could almost be my twin, it was pretty scary. I took a few steps towards the back of the place, thinking of what to say.

“Hi my name is Daniel, your Travis Barker right?” I said loudly, and looking at my dad straight in the eye.

“Yeah, what are you a genie or something, why do you look like me? Or am I just seeing double because of the beer?” He was obviously drunk he was stumbling, and almost fell out of his chair.

“Um, I’m not a genie; I’m actually your son.” I said mumbling, I didn’t know how he would take it since he was drunk, and I don’t know why he left me, so I don’t know how he feels about me.

“You’re my son? Kid, I left you at the orphanage because of this, you don’t want a father like me, and I’m just a drunk.” He seemed to become more calm and caring, but still partly drunk.

“But I ran away dad, I don’t like my adoptive mother, I thought you would understand dad.” I said with a tear coming down my cheek, this is the worst that could happen, I don’t know what to do.

“Son, go back to your mother I don’t want you in my life.” Then I just became angry, I see why my mom hid him. He’s a jerk, and that’s when I realized everything I had just ran away from.

I ran out the door and jumped on a taxi the whole time I thought about my mom. My mom is great, she cared, she protected, and supported. Now I see why she did the things she did, because she cared. Now I can go back to her and tell her how much I love her and everything that she does for me. I truly can’t wait. Heck I even stopped for some flowers and a card along the way. Finally, I was home, roses in my hand a card in the other, I knocked on the door.


“MOM!! I missed you so much and I went to go see dad because I thought I hated you but now I see how much you do and I don’t want anybody to take care of me but you.” I said. I really meant it, even though I was excited, I felt something was wrong. Her face was disappointed and blank. It was hard to read what she was feeling, or her emotion.
“Sorry young man, I don’t know you. I hope you have a nice day.”
She gave me some what of a smile, and slammed the door to my face. I was ready for her to open the door and say GOTCHA, then give me a hug. But I waited, and waited, it had been hours. She was serious, I looked through the window and there she was sitting on her couch watching TV as if nothing had happened. Tears burst out my eyes; she was serious, very serious. I had gone to become free of her and my dad didn’t want me, and now I lost her, the only person who truly cared, my mom. Now I don’t know what to do, so I guess I’ll just keep walking these streets of Chicago, and every day I look through her window, to find nobody opening the door and saying “Hey Daniel” and give me a hug.