Too Muck Work No Play | Teen Ink

Too Muck Work No Play

January 9, 2009
By Anonymous

I woke up after the horrible dream I just had. I recalled how horrible my childhood was. I remembered how at my school everyone had these cool shoes. Everyone asked how come I didn’t have some cool shoes. After a while I got tired of them asking me I told them the next day I was going to buy some and bring them to school. The next day I came to school with some old ugly shoes and everybody started laughing at me.

At the moment I was working as a teacher at Martin Luther King Elementary. Everyday as I’m walking to school I smell the essence of fresh air of San Diego, but as I’m getting closer to the school I taste the dirt flying around. The dirt comes from the construction Area 5 blocks away from the school.

Once I get to the blue two-story classroom building the smell of fresh air comes back. The classroom building is surrounding by big green tall tress during the summer and semi bald during the winter. My classroom is full of 15 desks 3 rows and 5 desks in each row. As I enter the classroom I see the big poster “treat people the way you want to be treated” in the other side of the room. In the left side a blank white board and in the right side the multiplication tables that we are working on.

(Bell Rings) Its 8:00 A.M. the third graders all come in and sit down, once they sit down they all start screaming and throwing papers all around the classroom. All of a sudden I lose my temper and start screaming. I knew that this was going to be a long day.

(Bell Rings) Okay students I’m very disappointed, it’s time to go home and I hope that Monday won’t be as noisy as today. Your homework is on the board see you guys on Monday.

As I walked into my house it was almost 5:00 P.M. I could smell the fried chicken cooking. I went in to my room and went towards my brown drawer, got some clothes and climbed into my shower. I took a shower and went into the dining room where Paula my wife was setting up the table.

“Dad” Apple said.

“Yes you beautiful little girl. Where’s your little brother Christopher?” I asked.

“He’s in his room sleeping daddy.” She replied.

“Are you ready to go to Sea World on Sunday?” Apple asked.

”Yes I am” I said.

“Antonio do you want some mash potatoes?” Paula asked. After eating dinner we went on to brush our teeth and went to sleep.

The next day I woke up with the same horrible dream I had yesterday. After the horrible dream I decided to get a second job so what happened to me never happens to my children. All Saturday morning I went in to downtown San Diego to look for a job as a bartender. It was about to be 2:00 P.M. when I found this bar where they were looking for a bartender. When I got there I applied and got the job. They asked when I could start and I said that same night.

I went back home took a shower ate something and went to work. At 7:00 P.M. I was at the bar already. I worked all afternoon and all night I got out at 3:00 in the morning. As I was walking home I remembered about Sea World, but I was too tired to wake up.

My family had planned to leave at 6:00 in the morning. Paula and Apple tried waking me up around three times. I’ve gotten home at 4:00A.M. Finally I woke up at 6:30 and told Apple to go on without me and that next week I would take them to Chuck E Cheese. I could tell that Apple was sad.

Everyday for the next week I would go to Martin Luther to teach and right after I would go to the bar. The week had gone fast and I forgot about my promise to Apple. It was Saturday night and it was a busy night at the bar. There was three parties going at the same time and I had to serve the drinks to everybody. It was 1 A.M. and the boss told me that we were not even half way done. When I got out of work it was about to be 5:00 in the morning and the sun was coming out already.

When I got home Paula was already awake making breakfast. She asked me why I was home so late. I told her that I had barely come from work. She also asked me If I was going to go to Chuck E’ Cheese, but I said that I was too tired.

“Ok this is the last time I, do this. Next week for sure I’ll take you to the Zoo.”

“I’m getting tired of this Antonio you’re never home and you keep blowing us off. Think about your children, think about Apple. How must she feel,” Paula screamed.

“I’m sorry Paula; I’ll talk to Apple later in the Afternoon. I’m too tired to argue.” I replied softly.

“I’m doing this for you, for Apple and for Christopher. You have to understand that I only do this so you will have everything I didn’t have. Tell Apple that I didn’t go because I was to tired and tell her that I’m going to take her to the Zoo next week.” I said.

“Ok but if you blows off next week as well I’m going to be angrier than I am right now.” Paula yelled.

All week I’ve been thinking about my family how I never see them any more I’m worried about what could happen if I blow them off again. I know that I’m doing well by working to give them everything I didn’t have. I just don’t want them to go through what I did. Every week is the same going to work getting out of work and going to work again.

It’s Saturday afternoon and I’m getting ready to go to work. Paula comes in and asks me if I’m going to go to the zoo tomorrow. I tell her that I’ll try to get out of work. All of a sudden she stands up and starts screaming at me how I always do the same things and how I’m never home. After this she just leaves really mad out of the room.

Its 7 P.M. and I’m at work already. It was about to be ten when I heard that there were going to be more parties than last week. Suddenly I had forgotten about the zoo tomorrow. It was 2 A.M. and not even half of the people had come in to the bar.

It was 7 in the morning and I was going home already when it came to my head that I was suppose to go to the zoo today. I got home and Paula was awake already. “Let me guess, you’re tired.” Paula said sarcastically. “Yes, yes I am” I said annoyed. “I’m tired of this. Don’t wait up, Antonio.” Paula said angrily.

It was 7 at night I had barely woken up and the house was more quiet than ever before, Christopher wasn’t crying, Apple wasn’t screaming “Mom”. There was no T.V. on nor any lights. It was late and I was worried about my family. I tried calling Paula but she wouldn’t answer. I kept calling until she answered.

“Where are you?” I asked.

“I’m in San Francisco. I told you that I was tired of this.” Paula said calmly. “Why did you live I was only working two jobs for you and the kids. Come back please! I need you here.” I said sobbing.

“No I told you that I was going to be very angry if you did this again” Paula said.

“Please come back”

“No I can’t goodbye forever”