love letter | Teen Ink

love letter

By theillyrianwolf SILVER, Prairieville, Louisiana
theillyrianwolf SILVER, Prairieville, Louisiana

My dear Anna,
You are so beautiful.  I think of you every day.  When you smile, sweetheart, I think my heart will burst with love.  I love seeing you every day, listening to your voice as you tell of your life: your work, your home, your friends. 
Today you were the most beautiful I have ever seen you.  Your dusty colored hair swayed brightly in the wind, decorated with a grey hat; your red skirt swished around your legs.  The brown boots you wore made you taller and more beautiful.  The cream-colored sweater was a lovely combination with the red gemstone necklace you sported. You hadn’t put on makeup today, and your freckles were pronounced and gorgeously unique. 
I know almost everything about you.  I know your best friend’s name is Alice, and Alice has blond hair and green eyes.  Alice has one child: a little girl named Maggie.  Maggie goes to Sally’s Daycare.  I know you once slipped on your way to work and sprained your ankle.  I know you get a pretzel with salt and cheese every morning at eight thirty two on your way to work.  I know you like to be on time; it is almost a compulsion.  You leave your house at exactly eight fifteen to have time to walk all the way to your office blocks away.  You don’t like to take the subway because you were once robbed there as a young girl.  I know your parents divorced when you were fifteen, and you went to live with your mother, here in New York.  I know you live in the brownstone on 15th Street, near the Little Bronwen Bakery (which, by the way, is your favorite bakery). 
I know all this because I love you. 
I know someday you will love me.
I know that right now, you have no knowledge of me. 
Someday, you will.  You will love me, just as I love you.
Until I work up the courage to introduce myself to you, I will continue to be only a shadow in the corner of your eye.  I am always with you.  I am always there.  I will always be there. 
I love you.
Your love,
Paul