Quit Forgiving and Just Forget | Teen Ink

Quit Forgiving and Just Forget

January 6, 2015
By SimplyKate GOLD, Keller, Tx, Texas
SimplyKate GOLD, Keller, Tx, Texas
11 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"What a treacherous thing, to believe a person is more than a person."


“So call it quits, or get a grip
You say you wanted a solution; you just wanted to be missed
Call me a safe bet, I'm betting I'm not
I'm glad that you can forgive, only hoping as time goes, you can forget
So you can forget, you can forget”

He sat at his desk yet another night, ignoring his phone, hoping she’ll go away. He still liked the girl. No wait- no he didn’t. He had to convince himself that he didn’t.
They dated for months before she decided that she was scared, scared of a relationship. She said she wanted to take time to take care of herself. And so he said he’d let her. After they had broken up, he had almost moved on, went on a date with a girl a year younger than him. But just as soon as he was finally forgetting the girl he was previously in love with, she came back into his life. She asked about how he was, asked how his life was going. It was nice to be talking to her again.
But then she did what he knew she would do at some point. One night, she called him crying. She was sobbing over everything she could’ve done to be a better person, a better girlfriend. The call ended with them admitting their still relevant feelings. But then the boy realized that he still had the other girl who thought that they were dating. And he couldn’t just dump her for his old girlfriend. So he told her in front of the school library on a dreary afternoon that they couldn’t talk anymore. He looked her in the eye and told her that they shouldn’t fight for something that obviously wasn’t worth it.
The girl just said ‘fine’ and walking away, ready to cry any second. And he let her.
Another week passed and the girl he had been dating dumped him for another boy. That Monday, he decided to apologize to his ex. He knew how he had hurt her and he didn’t want to, he just didn’t know how to end it any other way. He apologized in a text. She responded saying they shouldn’t talk anymore because it wasn’t good for her.
That Friday, she texted him. She asked to talk and he agreed. She was crying about something else her friends had done to upset her and he listened. The conversation once again ended in them admitting their still evident feelings. The next day, they got back together and the by decided to stop playing with her feelings, this time he’d do it right.
Yeah. Sure.
The next day, he broke up with her because his parents didn’t approve. And he could almost hear her heart shattering over the phone. He couldn’t do that again, he really couldn’t do that again.
So here he sat at his desk, ignoring her calls. She had to move on, stop believing he’d come back. She found him as a safe bet when he knew he wasn’t. she’d forgiven him so many times, it was time for her to forget him altogether. Because if she didn’t, he knew he’d be around when she snapped. And he didn’t want that to happen.


The author's comments:

I would like to give credit to the band Brand New for the beginning lyrics that are from their song 'The Boy Who Blocked His Own Shot'. I do NOT own those lyrics.