Demons in the Night | Teen Ink

Demons in the Night

By _xokayleighxo_ PLATINUM, Hampstead, North Carolina
_xokayleighxo_ PLATINUM, Hampstead, North Carolina

If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

Darkness sweeps over me as clothes cover my sight. Thin curtains peek through, scantily separating me from them. I sit there silently, pondering what can be done. Shaking legs pull up to my heaving chest, covering the last bit of my body from sight. Quivers run through me, all the way down to my pulsating little toes. A gruff voice sounds, chilling my bones and raising the tiny hairs on my arms. It’s daunting, sickly almost. Right outside the curtain, I catch two looming shadows perpetuating there, casted across the opposite bland wall.

“She’s hiding again,” sneers the voice.

An effeminate voice calms my fear, firmly saying, “she has every right to. You’re scaring her!”

“Scaring her? Scaring her? You think I’m scaring her? The child has brought it upon herself; none of this is my doing!” I flinch as the manly voice screams, words banging on my ear drums. My lip trembles uncontrollably as my hands shakily grab each other.

“It’s their fault! Not hers!” The feminine voice demanded, a loud crash shattering my stability. It's too close for comfort; too soon for them to be here.

“She did it; it’s all her fault! They did nothing, said a few words, but her?! She did this all to herself. Let her rot for what she’s done.” Convulsions racked through my body as his voice disrupted my inner panic.  Hiding spot given up, I prepared for an attack but they payed my physical form no mind.

“Let her rot? Let her rot?” An earsplitting voice pierced my ear drums.

“Yes, let her rot! She deserves it. She knows what she’s done; we know what she’s done. But they don’t and that kills her every day,” Screams turned to whispers and the coarse voice slowly faded.

"It wasn't her fault. It's all your doing," a sharp underlying tone shone through the angel-like voice
"She knew what she was doing. I only encouraged her. Besides, you might try hiding before she notices you," at it again, the morose voice came closer to my hiding place.

"Maybe my halo of goodness will rub off on her instead of your horns of terror," Teasing could be detected in her childish tone.

"Halo of goodness? The only thing you’re good at is messing up peoples lives. Admit it; you messed her life up!" Anger etched his tone, boiling up and spilling over. Sobs enveloped my body, pulling me in and never letting go. My throat clamped shut as though someone was strangling me. They almost were.

"Calm yourself! Your red hue is reflecting through the curtain. She'll know for sure who you are!" Worry traced through her voice, laced with exhaust.

"Who cares? She's already gone. She won't last much longer here. I can almost see her pathetic tears, hear her stupid sobs. Plus she hasn't told anybody about us yet," the snippy voice reasoned.

“You can get through this; you can survive this,” the high-pitched voice appeared as though someone was sitting on my shoulder. “I’m here for you. I’m here to pick you up when you’re done and to help you get through this. We WILL get through this.”

“But you won’t,” the eerie voice was back, gruffer and quieter. “You’ll give in to temptation like you always do. And I’ll be right by your side, egging you on.”

“STOP!” I screeched, “Stop! I won’t listen to you. I won’t!”

“But you always do,” As the rough voice faded, I caught a glimpse of what looked like a little man in a red suit sitting on my shoulder. The twisted image sent shivers down my aching spine.

"Not this time," I whispered to myself, brushing the voices away once and for all.