Watching Someone Die | Teen Ink

Watching Someone Die

By rj123 SILVER, London, Other
rj123 SILVER, London, Other

"There are two seasons in Scotland: June and Winter." - Billy Connolly

“Elijah Kol Mason,” He said, calmly. Far too calmly.

“And what are you here for?” I asked jotting down the previous answer.

“They think I did it, but I didn’t. They think I kidnapped a 5 year old boy and beat him to death. They’re wrong.” The way he said it was so matter-of-fact.

“What was his name?” I replied, viciously scribbling.

“Harley Ross Jones, I’ve seen the pictures and the videos. His birthday was the 25th of April, he was gorgeous – huge green eyes and bleach blonde hair.” I single tear drop is the only sign of humanity, in a person who I can only assume is a cold blooded killer.

“Are you scared?” My final question, as I realise my time is drawing to a close.

“Fear is only human. I walk out of this room to my death, would you be scared? In fact, I’m sure you are scared, you are going to watch a man die today.” He was withdrawn, laid back and oddly charming. “Anyway, I have to go. Tell the nation I love them,” He stood up; one of the guards came for him and another for me. He winked at me with his huge brown eyes.

I was walked to a sort of viewing area, there was a bed where he would lie and be strapped down. I was stood with a peaceful looking family, the family of the victim. They had lost their son long ago and come to peace with it. In another area was a grief-stricken group, none of them looked related to Elijah Kol Mason so I guessed they were friends. I said nothing to the family, nothing I could say would make up for their loss. I put my notebook away and looked into the room; we were separated by bullet proof glass. He walked in and strapped down; it was all so clinical. A last statement was issued that would be on the news later after I had written the report. He claimed his innocence one last time and apologized for the pain that this legal case must have caused the family, then he said goodbye and was executed by lethal injection.

Then I walked out and got the train home, the image still poignant in my head. When I got home I sat down on my sofa and began to write up the story with the title An Innocent Goodbye, it would appear in print tomorrow and then I could forget about this whole affair. My roommate, Alyssa walked in. “You okay?” She asked.

“Yeah, yeah, of course. Why?”

“You did just watch a man die,”

“He deserved it,” I said, getting up. I was as much trying to convince myself as much as I was trying to convince her. “I’m going to bed.”

His face haunted me in my nightmares and I woke up in a cold sweat, unable to sleep again.

--

I woke up and brushed my teeth, today was the day of the big interview. I found smart clothes and walked downstairs for a breakfast that I couldn’t stomach and walked out the door. I was early for my train, for once, and waited for five minutes before stepping smartly on and riding to my destination. I sat in the waiting room before being called in.

“Miss Cathy Tel, please come on in.” The man in a suit said, welcoming me into his office.

“Hello,” I said shaking his hand.

The usual questions proceeded; then he said something that shook me to the core. “Now, Miss Tel, you came to our attention about six months ago with your article uh, An Innocent Goodbye,”

I was completely rattled; it all came flooding back to me: his face, the way he died, how he looked completely different and exactly the same. Trying to mask my fear, I replied, “Yes, that one was…particularly interesting to write,”

“Excellent, then you’ll be glad to hear that your first assignment will be to write a follow up article. Some new evidence has recently come to light and we were wondering if you were willing to investigate and write a news story, perhaps titled Did Eli Do It? you know, something a bit Murder Mystery,”

I gulped silently, “Yes, sure, that sounds…great,” A thousand thoughts rushed through my head as I tried to mask the fear in my eyes. One thought stood out.

He died for nothing. He died for nothing

Cathy Tel meets a murderer before he is sentenced to death, but is shaken to find out she watched a man die for nothing.