Why I Am Proud to be an American | Teen Ink

Why I Am Proud to be an American

December 23, 2014
By Jacob2015 GOLD, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
Jacob2015 GOLD, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
18 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"Writing means sharing. It's part of the human condition to want to share things - thoughts, ideas, opinions." Paulo Coelho


The Dodge Ram is an American truck. "Made in the U.S.A."  is stamped on its doors. It was made for farming, and more importantly, it was made to last. My uncle is no longer around, but his truck still is, and it roars louder today than it did 30 years ago. If anything, 30 years of farming only strengthened the truck.

 

My uncle had "U.S.A" painted on the driver door, and "Nobility" painted on the passenger door. My uncle painted “U.S.A.” on the doors to demonstrate the similarity between him and his truck. "We were both made in the U.S.A," he would say.


  Before my uncle passed away, he told me something. He said his  his truck would go to me, and he wanted me to understand the reasons he painted “Nobility” and “U.S.A.” on the truck doors. 


I always knew what the U.S.A. stood for, but I will never forget what the “Nobility” stood for to him. He said to me, "I believe the most noble quality is to have the ability to divert attention from your own success, and shine that light on those, who many times, have had more to do with the success than you did."

 When my uncle said that, I realized I have never had that quality. If somebody has ever given me attention, I take it. I lose track of who's all evolved, and I take the credit.

 

I am grateful to live in a country that is forgiving of my mistakes, and despite my faults, protects me and shelters me. I am glad to live here, in the U.S.A, where I am able to utilize the constitutional rights countless American have died for. And I'm glad to live in America--the greatest nation on Earth!