Broken | Teen Ink

Broken

December 16, 2014
By Squared30 BRONZE, Jonesport, Maine
Squared30 BRONZE, Jonesport, Maine
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I was standing in the middle of the room looking at myself carelessly in the mirror, not thinking anything of myself, I looked pale, about as white as paper. My sister walked in and was standing behind me admiring herself and I didn’t mind but when she shoved me out of the way, grabbing my wrist and pulling, but the thing is she didn’t grab my wrist, she grabbed the only thing that I had left of him, the only thing that meant most to me. His bracelet, I know it sounds stupid but it was the only thing that I had left of him. It carelessly fell to the ground with the letters facing up, to add to it all, he had been gone a year from today. He was the best thing that ever left this world, to me anyways. My uncle was unique, he did things his own way. I looked down at the bracelet as tears were streaming down my face. I looked back up at the mirror and I had color. My eyes were red and puffy, tears were streaming down my face like nothing now, but my cheeks stayed the same pale color they were before. She was looking at me, I knew she was. My sister had that kind of stare that anybody would immediately know she was looking at them. So I looked at her too, but the things is I shouldn’t have. She just looked at me as if she were rubbing it in my face, that it was all my fault that the bracelet was gone and now it can’t be fixed. She looked down at the bracelet admiring it like it was the best thing that she had ever layed her eyes on. I quickly squatted down, picked it up and closed my eyes, hoping that when I opened them everything would just be a dream, it would all rewind it it would have never even happened. That’s not what happened though, I opened my eyes and the only thing that happened was more tears streamed down my face. My mother walked in and looked at the scene that took place, we didn’t have to tell her what happened because my older sister has always been like that, she would walk in my room just to break my things and then leave. She would only do it because she knew she wouldn’t get into trouble, but this time I am for sure that she will. My mother looked over the bracelet, looked at my sister, looked at me and then walked out of the room. She didn’t even turn around to take a second glance. It had happened again, she had been like this ever since father died, he had passed five years ago. Mother was devastated, she would always degrade herself like she was nothing to this world. I guess in some way me and my mother are very alike. I had been doing the same thing ever since my uncle died. My sister took one last glance at me and walked away like she didn’t do anything wrong, I knew I was an outsider but I would think she would at least understand.