Daughter Of Invention: Book Review | Teen Ink

Daughter Of Invention: Book Review

By Nancy Andrade BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona
Nancy Andrade BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona

“Daughter of Invention” has numerous amount of lessons you can learn throughout the short story. The story has its share of surprises and isn't very predictable. The story is not like any “family related” story. The morals in this short story are valuable, and expressed in a very unique form, which makes this story very captivating.

In the exposition of the short story, the mother was introduced as a creative character, since she was very intrigued with coming up with new ideas for inventions. Throughout the story it was explained that the daughter was asked to write a speech for her school since her school was very pleased with her writing. The daughter devoted most of her time trying to complete her speech. When she finished preparing her speech she showed it off to her parents. Her mother was supportive of her, while her father was so outraged by her speech, he tore it apart. The daughter was devastated, and didn't want to write a new one until her mother offered her some help. Together they created a new speech that they were proud of.

A moral in this short story is how "family is always there to pick you back up." Prior to when the father ripped up the daughter's speech, they mother was very encouraging of her, and saw how focused she was on writing her speech, so when it got ripped up the mom felt very sentimental towards her. The moral is shown when the mom offered to help her daughter write a new speech, and she made her feel better after what her father had done.

Also in the story, the climax is clearly present on the fifth page of the story. The daughter shows her father her speech, and as he’s reading, he begins to get angry. Suspense is created when the father begins ripping up his daughters work, and she is left . This is also the part I enjoyed most because it was interesting how different the father’s perspective was of the speech than the mothers. The father’s point of view was that is was a disgrace to their family, and he wouldn’t allow her to read it. The mother was much more encouraging than the father because she had no problem with it and was content with her speech. This is my favorite part because I'd like to know how our perspective of her speech would differ now that things have changed since then.

Overall, the story was an amusing way to express the importance of family. I would recommend this short story because it teaches a lesson that you should value for the rest of your life, and you could make various connections with this. The lesson being that no matter what obstacles you face, your family won’t let you give up, and will guide you into the right direction. I think that this is important because your family will be with you for the rest of your life, so it’s important for you to notice all the things they do for you. Also, it’s important to be supportive of your family, because you never know how what they’re interested in could help you. An example of this lesson would be how the mother loved to invent, but no one took her seriously and when the daughter needed help writing her speech, the mother helped her with her ideas. This short story is definitely worth reading.