Everyday Use Maggies Point of View | Teen Ink

Everyday Use Maggies Point of View

December 10, 2014
By Mauricio Sifuentes BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona
Mauricio Sifuentes BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

I grew up with a poor family, however, a caring and lovable family.  I can’t say that about Dee.  I used to think Dee didn’t like me, like she hated me or something.  She was my older sister, from blood to genes. Dee’s skin color was lighter than mine; her hair was nicer and had a fuller figure.   Our first house burned down, the one that Dee hated so much.  She hated it so much that she could have literally danced on its ashes.  To be honest, I don’t know why she didn’t do that; it would have been interesting to watch.  Sometimes, when I’m all alone at night, wide awake, but trying to fall asleep, I have pondered so hard why she hated that house.  I know it couldn’t be the physical appearance of the house; it looked too much like the one we live in now.  After all the pondering I’d fall asleep thinking it was something personal, but keep on over thinking it the next night.  The day that the house burned down, Dee was happy; however, I was in a great deal of pain.  The flames not only burned the house, but it also burned me.  I was rushed to the hospital after that.  The good thing, I was in a stable condition and not a critical one. 

My mother was really kind to me every single day, no matter what silly mistake I made.  She was caring, loving and the best mother any child could ask for.  Although I wasn’t the type of child that caused trouble everywhere I went, she was strict with me sometimes to show me   rights and wrongs.  My mother has been my role model for a long time now.  She never graduated from college, but the most interesting detail about this is that it never bothers her.  She wanted to major as a writer.  I want to attend Harvard University and graduate from college and major as a writer to keep her dream alive.   Mother always praised me saying that I was a smart child and that I could anything in life as long as I tried.  Right now, my long life dream is to attend Harvard University on scholarships and major as a writer.
My grandparents were also poor.  They were a poor farm couple, but having just enough food to eat made them happier than any rich couple.  However, Dee was nothing like us all.  She wanted everything.  She wanted shoes that matched her dress for a school dance and other more that I can’t seem to remember.  To me, Dee was really selfish, and I don't like selfish people at all.  My mother was disappointed with Dee when Dee changed her name to Wangero.  Dee said she could no longer use a name taken from the people who have mistreated her kind for generations.  I was also very mad at her.  However, I could do nothing about it as I was still younger than her. 
My mother enjoys reading, especially when she is reading with me.  My favorite part of my day is when mother reads to me at night.    My favorite book that my mother read to me once was “The Color Purple”.  It was written by one of my favorite author’s, Alice Walker.  I don’t only like it because my favorite author wrote it, but because it shows the love of two sisters, the love that I wish I had grown up with.  I never met my father: I never wanted to anyways.  Since I had grown up with no father, I don't really need one.  If he ever shows up saying that he is my father and wants to take me away from my mother, I will only slap him across the face and tell him he's too late. 
This has been my life for many years and I would never like to change that fact.  Although we were never rich in money, we were rich in love, something that many rich people don't have since they are always wrapped up in money.  I might have had a tough life, however, my mother and I learned to overcome it all by ourselves since the day Wangero (Dee) left us behind.