Catherine's Decision | Teen Ink

Catherine's Decision

By juliana_810 BRONZE, Stockton, California
juliana_810 BRONZE, Stockton, California

never give up

It was the year 2014 and there lived the Dolans family in a friendly neighborhood in Los Angeles. There was the mother Catherine and her handsome husband Christopher; they had two beautiful children, Emma and Sebastian. Emma was six years old and Sebastian was three years old. Catherine was twenty eight years old, she was really beautiful; but, she still wore lots of makeup. Christopher was really handsome, generous, humble and a really kind man. He was tall and had blue eyes; he was just the man who every girl dreams of. It was just like an ordinary family with love and closeness everything that you can imagine in a healthy family. Well that was what everyone thought of them, they didn’t know that Cathy had an addiction.

November 27th,
“Hurry darling we’re going to be late” said Christopher from down stairs.
“Stop rushing me, am still getting ready, can you just wait a bit more is not like the thanksgiving dinner is going anywhere,” Catherine responded sarcastically.
“I know that but the kids are hungry and I am too, you have been up there in your makeup room stuck in your vanity the whole day.”
One hour had past and they were finally out the door headed to a family thanksgiving dinner. They eat talked and had a blast. The clock struck eleven and they headed to their house.
It was Friday in the afternoon, when Christopher walked in their dining room, there was a beautiful chandelier hanging right above a beautiful and elegant big dining table with lots of food. It almost looked like if it was a reunion, but it was just Catherine looking beautiful as always Emma and Sebastian well dressed, sitting quietly for their father’s return. Christopher looked surprised. He wondered, what is the meaning for all of this, before he could speak Catherine with a big smile invited him to sit.
“Come sit, have dinner I have a surprise” said Cathy.
“What is it? Tell me.” urgently responded Christopher.
“Ok ok,” with a huge smile in her face she grabbed him a colorful present with a huge bow under the Christmas tree “here this is for you,” Cathy said.
Christopher opened it just like a little kid on Christmas Eve. He was so anguished to see what it was. Once he opened the present, he saw pictures of their wedding and their two kids and under the tissue paper there was a message, it said, “Congratulations you are a father of three beautiful kids” Once he saw it he looked at her with a huge smile and hugged her. Cathy was expecting a baby. They ate dinner; they started to brainstorm names of boys and girls then played with Emma and Sebastian.
The next morning Cathy woke up did her every day routine, made breakfast exercise and headed straight up to her vanity for three hours straight doing her makeup. She had hundreds of makeup all the colors of lipstick, lip gloss, blush, eye shadow, eyeliner, mascara foundation etc. She had the whole store of mac right in her makeup room.
“Mom I hungry “cried Emma.
“Go get some cookies and leave me alone can’t you see I am busy,” said Cathy.
When she was done she went to the mall with her kids. She arrived and headed straight to Macy, where there they had a mac department, and bought five different eyeliners, two blushes and eight lipsticks. Then she went to buy fifteen new fake eyelashes. Finally Cathy was finish shopping and left home to cook dinner.
December 24th, Christmas Eve. They were going to celebrate Christmas in their house with their family and closest friends. And as always Cathy was running late getting ready. When everyone arrived and had dinner,
Cathy announced “Christopher and I are now expecting a baby”.
Cheers, hugs, congratulations everyone said it was the perfect Christmas Eve with everyone who loved them.
“Twelve a.m., present time!” all the kids shouted.
The children received lots of toys and the adults’ clothes but Cathy received lots of makeup, everyone knew she loved makeup.
This everyday routine kept on going for months; she started to lose interest in her kids and would take them to daycare or take them to her mother’s while she would go to malls, makeup classes, and even to LA  just for makeup. She wasted her day watching a lot of makeup tutorials. She probably didn’t even know what she had anymore. Christopher spends his days at work and didn’t know what was going on with Cathy. Cathy’s mom tried to convince her to see a psychologist, but her answer was always “leave me alone you don’t know what you’re talking about I am perfectly fine” When Christopher found out he also tried to convince.
Before dinner Christopher commented. “Honey don’t you think you are spending a lot of your time on those tutorials and buying makeup, instead of spending time with the kids,”
Cathy replied annoyed, “I bet my mother told you that.”
Christopher replied, ”Yes she did comment something of that but it’s for your own good,”
Cathy turned his way with a serious face expression and a demanding voice “I am not addicted to makeup and I could do what I want with my face and I ask for you to not bring this topic up!”
There was really nothing for Christopher to do; she was out of her mind. She was wasting too much money: she started to buy all kinds of different makeup and brands. She didn’t take care of herself and her baby that was on the way. She didn’t feed herself well she was just too busy buying makeup or doing her own makeup. Cathy started to feel weak and under all that makeup she began to look pale.
Even though she wouldn’t go out she would still do her makeup for hours, she didn’t take care of herself as she had too. She constantly had headaches, she was always dizzy, and had lot of health issues. On February 10th Cathy turned five months and she had a doctor’s appointment, Christopher and the kids were going to accompany her. She was finally going to know what she was going to have. That was the day Christopher noticed something different about her. It appeared that she seemed pale and really weak and even though she was pregnant she had not gained any weight at all. Only if she had half a soccer ball in her stomach. Christopher started to worry.
“Catherine Dolan please proceed to room seventeen the doctor is waiting for you,” Said a nurse.
When they entered, Doctor Jones asked her a few questions and after they proceeded with the ultrasound.
“Mrs. and Mr. Dolan, I am sorry but it seems that it is still too hard to see what your baby is and we also seem to have difficulties I am going to have to do some studies, test etc.”
Christopher responded worried “do what you have to do”.
“Catherine can you please enter room twenty”, said Doctor Jones.
Catherine didn’t say anything but by the way she was shivering while walking to room twenty that explained how she felt. “Well i tried everything I could, now we just wait, I will personally call when I receive your response” Said the doctor.
“Thank you and we will be waiting for your call” respond Christopher.
Once they arrived home Cathy finally spoke “what would you like for dinner?”
Christopher responded, “Anything is perfectly fine with me”.
They both fixed up dinner and ate, while still waiting for the doctor’s call.

The phone rang, “Ring ring” Christopher hurried and answer
“Hello Doctor what were my wife’s results”
The doctor responded “I have bad news we discovered an infection in your wife’s blood that was caused by bacteria of a makeup. These bacteria could reach your baby and there is a possibility that it could die; we will have your wife in a really strict treatment until your baby is safe from the infection. Now I need your wife to return to the hospital.”
Christopher responded thank you doctor we are on our way back.”
He told Cathy what the doctor had examined to be infection in her body. Once he told her everything,
Cathy cried and said “this is all my fault if I hadn’t been wearing that much makeup this would have had happened”
Christopher tried to comfort her it’s not your fault,” Then he hugged her, “we have to go back for the doctor he would try his best to save our baby.
Once they arrived back to the hospital the nurse quickly attended her.
“Hello Ms. Dolans we are going to move fast we need to check your blood, temperature and we will have to do several studies, I will assure you that we will try our best to save your baby,” said Doctor Jones.
When Cathy was about to change to a gown, a hurtful pain accrued it was her baby on its way.
“Help, someone help me aaaaaah,”
screamed Cathy. The doctor and Christopher ran in the room she was in, they quickly helped her and took her to the nearest available room. Since that moment everything went dark for Cathy she had no control over herself she was out.
A whole day past and she was unconscious. Five in the afternoon, and Cathy finally woke up. She was in terrible pain; the first thing she saw was Christopher.
She asked “where's my baby what happened to me tell me”
with a long face and tears coming out he silently told Cathy, “before the doctor could do anything the baby died and you almost did too,”
Cathy broke out she was crying screaming. They had lost their baby and Cathy was the reason why there baby had died. Since that day and on she has not touched any kind of makeup.