Once Upon A Time | Teen Ink

Once Upon A Time

December 9, 2014
By Anonymous

Amber smiled laying the slumbering Becca down in her cushioned bed, her hand stroking the soft hair as she watched for a moment before heading back downstairs.  That little bundle of joy always made her smile she thought.  The clock chimed nine times; her parents wouldn’t be back for a while, not came the difficult part of the job finding something to do.  Driftlessly she scourer the house she grew accustom to, stopping at the father’s office. The one rule in this household, never go into father’s office.

Mischievous delight causes her to stroke the cold bronze, turning it open.  A cool refreshing breeze rushed past her in a frenzy, the soles of her feet pattering down the wooden floors. Pictures lined the walls some in frames, some not. Father’s desk littered with crumbled scatter clumps of paper fell down onto the taunt leather chair. I could clean this room up for him. She thought; her mind set on the task. Ghost white hands moved as a single unit picking up the clutter, placing them in designated sections of the room.

Sometimes tiny miracles occurs her hands brushed upon a pile of clutter spilling its content onto the floor. She groaned to herself scooping up the spilled, and then something caught her eyes. A vanilla folder with sharper wrote, “Adoption Papers.” Curiosity glinted through her eyes as she scanned the content stopping as she spotted one photo that drove her along memory lane. The picture held a capture moment of time where a woman held on close to her bundle of joy. The caption below wrote, “baby girl age 1 name: Becca”.  Below that were papers finalizing the adoption and a signed signature, belonging to her.

Could the universe really work like this? Allowing her to rewrite the mistake of signing she did not want to see this joy again. A fragile hand rose to her hand as tears of joy rose. Amber looked back to where Becca slept. She made it to a good family.

As amber made her way out of the office making sure all the papers were in their correct stack shutting the door, their meeting her on the stair was Becca. Her small brown eyes glistened with sleepiness. “Amber I can’t sleep, can you tell me a story?” she asked.

Amber smiled scooping Becca up on her arms and resting them both on the rocker in her room, smiling as Becca’s head curled up perfectly in the crook of her neck, the perfect story rose to the beginning.

“Once upon a time… There was a grand kingdom with a beautiful princess-“


The author's comments:

Sometime's miricles occur.